• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summer is coming need help with my A/C

NAXJA Forum User
While driving my 01 XJ the A/C will cut on and off quite often,After it does this for a bit it will just start blowing hot air for 15-30 min and then start cooling again for 15-30 then heat.Every now and then it will cool just fine.Any help would be appreciated

Frequent on and off cycling is a sign of low freon. Look to see if you have some small bubbles in the accumuator sight glass when the compressor runs. Seeing no bubbles means you're seeing all liquid (overcharged), or no freon (just gas).
You should just see a few bubbles stream by the window, if all is well.

The odds are that you're a little low on juice.

You can recharge the A/C with some new R134, the 134 systems don't have sight glasses. Factory service manual says if it cycles more then 5 times in one minute the coolant level is low. Now, if you recharge it and it starts doing it again you need to add the R134 with the dye in it, get a black light and start looking for yellow stains on the hoses, evaporator, condensor and the condensate drain line which is in the firewall, passenger side right above the frame rail. If you see yellow/green stains there on the frame rail with the blacklight that means the condenser is leaking and that my boy is an $800 repair. The entire dash has to come out to gain access to the heater box. Jeep used cheap assed condensers and this is a common problem on both XJ and ZJ's. Almost as common at the little plastic tab thats in the TJ's heater box and when that breaks all you get is floor air at anything above low fan so there goes your defrosters, both our TJ's have broken ones. Thats also an $800 repair for a $1.00 part...
My suspicious side says this was a planned design flaw to keep the service depts in business.
I need to get my condenser done soon, mine leaks and has been for the past 3 years, it lasted just long enough to get out from under warranty.

Low on freon and I think the compressor clutch is going.Can you buy the clutch seperate or do you have to buy the whole thing?

When the system gets low and stays low for a while air gets in there and the system will not take a full freon charge. It needs to be evacuated and then refilled.

I guess Ill have to look into that,It no longer cycles anywhere near what it did before.But still blows warm at about the same frequency.My auxalliary fan also does not come on when over 250 (No clue but that is what the guy pointed out) so he recomended a new relay.

Mine blows cool air and I think I know the reason. Low freon but what I alos found is one of the hoses tp compressor is split open. Anyone know where I can get replacement hoses to fit the 89?

Back