• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back passenger door lock stuck

tweeve

NAXJA Forum User
My back passenger door on my 95 Cherokee is stuck closed because the lock wont unlock. I have tried to manuely press the lock but it will only go so far then stops, the electornic lock also get about the same distance. It seems that something is jamming the lock but I can't seem to find anything. I had a friend try a slim Jim on it but it wouldn't budge, plus he couldn't find his book on verhicles so he really didn't know were the lock was.

Anyone know how to get a door open when the lock is stuck? or am I better off just taking it to the dealership to get it fixed.

I think the only way you're going to get this is to take the panel out of the door, and get into the mechanism. I've had the same thing happen. It's awkward, but you can get the panel out with the door shut. It's possible the lock linkage has gotten jammed or broken, but it's also possible that the door lock mechanism itself is broken. I had a plastic part inside one of these fail, and it would latch and unlatch all right when unlocked, and it would lock, but it wouldn't unlock.

I can't advise on exactly which levers or rods to go for, but once you have the panel out you can probe around inside there and eventually you'll hit the right part and it will open.

Back