• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle ujoints

If you have a u-joint press, I think it's possible.

Without a press----well, let's just say that it would be FAR easier to remove the hub and pull the axle shaft first.

WobblesXJ said:
why would you do that? once you can get to them they just slide out anyway or am I missing something?

I think the object here is not to have to pull off the hub. My guess is that it will be very difficult to do this. The press will have to straddle the outer axle assembly and still allow the stationary side of the press to rest against the axle yoke. You'll also have to remove the cross without displacing the two halves of the driveshaft radially. I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure a conventional balljoint press will not fit. But I'm certainly willing to let Sprinkler try it and report back.

sprinkler1228 said:
To get the passanger side out you have to drain the fluid and remove a clip in the axle

What front axle do you have?!?! There is no c-clip in a Dana 30, which is the most common front axle.

Like everyone says, it is so easy to remove the caliper, rotor, and three 12-point 13 mm bolts and slide out the hub/axle assemblies.

I've done this several times since this past weekend. :mad:

sprinkler1228 said:
To get the passanger side out you have to drain the fluid and remove a clip in the axle

I can see the knowledge is strong in this thread..........

xjohnnyc said:
Like everyone says, it is so easy to remove the caliper, rotor, and three 12-point 13 mm bolts and slide out the hub/axle assemblies...

Don't live in the rust belt, do ya? :sunshine:

You're right, of course, in principle, but when the hubs rust on it can be far from easy. It's still likely to be easier than trying to do the joints in place, though.

And YOU are right also. My hubs come off very easily. :D

But IF I had rusted hub assemblies, I would get them unfrozen ASAP and get some grease on them. Because this would be more easily done in your garage instead of waiting until you have to replace a shaft or u-joint on the trail. :)

jrsxj98 said:
I can see the knowledge is strong in this thread..........

Well, I've never taken appart a disconnect D30, but AFAIK you'd have to do that if you were pulling the inner shaft on the longer side. The inner outer one (middle piece) I think would slide out without having to do all that.

Kejtar said:
Well, I've never taken appart a disconnect D30, but AFAIK you'd have to do that if you were pulling the inner shaft on the longer side. The inner outer one (middle piece) I think would slide out without having to do all that.

even with the disco axle you dont have to drain all the fluid. you just have to pull the cover with the disco, and slide the inner out. did it numerous times on the old YJ.

Kejtar said:
AFAIK there is a c clip like clip in the disconnect D30

Well, you learn something new every day. And you're always the one schooling me. :D

BTW, went over to Scott's today and we replaced my inner seals and axle u-joints.

And another BTW to Justin - You're in my avatar...top dead center.

xjohnnyc said:
Well, you learn something new every day. And you're always the one schooling me. :D

BTW, went over to Scott's today and we replaced my inner seals and axle u-joints.

Cool... now you that you're an expert, you can do mine :D LOL

jrsxj98 said:
even with the disco axle you dont have to drain all the fluid. you just have to pull the cover with the disco, and slide the inner out. did it numerous times on the old YJ.
Are you talking about the shaft that's connected to the ujoint or the one one between the disco and the r&p?

Back