• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild Stock Track Bar

jeepbme

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to rebuild this unit. The problem is the frame mount end or tie rod end of the Track. Can that be replaced ...pressed out for a new MOOG or other brand?

Is it feasable to turn a stock track bar into an adjustable ? If so what parts would be needed and where would you get them from. We just had to replace one on one of the TJ's, bar was bent like a pretzel and that puppy cost me $60 at a yard. The other bad one has a slightly more bent end and I was considering heating it up and bending it back out but don't know how that would affect it's strength.

jeepbme said:
Is that for the ball joint replacement? Bushing kit?? whatcha mean>?
That's the entire bar. I think Quadratec (www.quadratec.com) has it even cheaper than that.

While it might be possible in theory to rebuild one, I don't know of any source for the parts to rebuild a tie rod end, and you would need a VERY heavy duty hydraulic press to do it. I considered trying to cut off the end and use a sleeve to attach a standard tie rod end, but there isn't enough straight length before the bend where it clears the pumpkin.

Just cinch up the belt and spring for a new one. If you are at stock height, do NOT be tempted to buy an adjustable. I had a Rusty's adjustable on the 88 MJ when it was lifted. The length will adjust down enough for stock height, but when I removed the lift and put it back to stock the track bar was an interference fir with the diff cover. There is a reason for that funny bend on the upper end of the stock bar.

Back