• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LongArm Crossmember shopping...which one?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
My RE longarms have arrived and i had originally intended to get Clayton's crossmember.

Now i see the T&T Customs crossmember and am awaiting a reply from them to see if the RE arms are compatable.

If you were shopping for a crossmember which would you opt for? I'm undecided if the $130 price difference is worth it for the lil extra clearance.

Also, i read through a search that T&T's may not be compatable with a 242 transfer?

Checking out my options here...input appreciated.

I like the TNT bellypan. Theres someone on this forum that uses it with the 242 all you need is 5/16 spacers I think.

Mine has the 242 TnT crossmember, but I don't have the LA option. The 242 cross member has an extra drop section built in to clear the lower T-Case. The extra ground clearance is sort of lost with the 242 version, but the beefiness more than makes up for it. I'd definately go with his over others. Here's a pic of mine...

Give Bob a call (TnT) for info... (307)214-7754

637794_188_full.jpg

637794_189_full.jpg

Excellent input thus far Guys.

I do have another option, i also have an SYE for a 96+ 231 in garage that i could swap in to improve clearance over the 242. But.... and it's a big but....i like the Full Time option as i reguarly travel to New England area in winter for camping etc.

I'll have to call T&T to ask how much clearance is lost with a 242 vs a 231.

I just installed the TNT crossmember yesterday. I know it won't help with your 242 vs 231 debate, but I'm really happy with the fitment and how beefy the entire setup is. It was definitely a time consuming install, but I now feel confident with having my entire front axle attached to it. :)

The RE arms will fit into the cross member because TNTs arms use RE joints. I'm not sure if they will clear the frame or be at the right angles though.....the arms on TNTs kit are moved in pretty far and I think that might be hard on bushings for standard arms if you could even get them to fit.

A couple of pics:
IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

I haven't put my fuel/brake lines back and I haven't hooked up the arms yet, but you get the idea.

IMG_5840.jpg

Brian
www.projectxj.com

Yeah, as Brian mentioned, the TnT arms have a bend to them to tuck them up into the frame more than other brands. Definately the way to go... unless you already have a set of RE arms purchased, which I guess you do.

Besides the bushing angles at the axle,the RE arms are going to be +4" to long.

robz95xj said:
I like the TNT bellypan. Theres someone on this forum that uses it with the 242 all you need is 5/16 spacers I think.

YEAH, we did it. took the 231 crossmember, used a 9/16 transmission lift between the tranny and the exhaust brcket. then cut a rectangle out of the t-case skid. then just welded a piece of 1/4 around the notch.

588437_150_full.jpg

588437_151_full.jpg

Here's a shot of how much clearence there is between the t-case and crossmember.

JOHN B- the 242 crossmember hangs down 1 /18 lower than the 231 one. they use like a goose egg for the t-case skid.

Last edited:
Heard from Matt at TNT, definately not compatable.

Nice Guy though, he offered me a deal to go with his setup.

Unfortunately all i need now is a crossmember so i'll go with Clayton's.

Thanks for the input Guys, learned a few things.

I had the same thoughts as you. I was gonna try and use the RE arms and a TNT x-member. But I found out the RE arms would be way too long. IIRC the guys at TNT told me their arms were a little longer than 31" vs the 37" of the RE ones. So the only thing that is left would be a Clayton x-member or to build a custom one.

-Mike

These are the only ones that I've seen so far:

dsc01976.jpg

dsc01982.jpg

dscn5690.jpg

Not that those are the best pics. I should have some of my setup this weekend.....although I didn't change any bumpstops or shocks or anything....so it will probably have the exact same flex as when I had drop brackets.

Back