• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good steering wheel/column write up

They don't dig far enough into the column to tighten a loose tilt... I just fixed mine last week (unfortunately no pictures). You need to go that far and then remove the lock cylinder, tilt arm, high beam lever, and the column surround. Then there are two screws on the bottom to tighten. They are external torx, but you can get them pretty tight with an appropriate sized socket.

On the bonus side, once you do this you'll know enough to see how easy it is to steal an XJ (or anything else with a GM column). Bet you could do it in under a minute. Pretty scary stuff! Time to put in a hidden kill switch inline with the fuel pump or a hardened column surround!

If it gets you to further secure your junk and not rely on the crappy design of the easily hotwired steering column... Then YES!!!!!

Put a steel collar on it.

std2.gif

Just, did the column on my 91. Only tightened two of the star bolts, didn't feel like taking the column apart anymore. I hear others do the same. That is definitely the best write up and pics.

Back