• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let the rebuild begin.......

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
As some of you may know, I finished off my rig a couple weekends ago (details here)http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4593

In any case, I need to rebuild my engine pronto. Anybody have any recommendations regarding brand/retailer for a full engine rebuild kit? I'll need a master kit.

I've done some quick searches, and the going rate on a master rebuild kit with premium pistons (moly coated hypereutectic) and name brand gasket set is $550 or so.

Comments and experiences welcome......should I just buy a long block and be done with it?

CRASH

And no, I don't want to build a stroker, I just want a nice reliable 4.0 to get my junk down the road.

CRASH

302 302 302!!!!!!!!! YEAH DO A 302 andy that b sic!!!

stoney:D

jk

Beezil, can we get someone to invent a Stoney translator? I usually only understand about 5% of any given post.

CRASH

Andy, I have a 99' HO with 50,000 on it that you can buy real cheap, it will also have the computer. It only needs the flex plate and I think someone in our club has an HO plate laying around somewhere. You can PM if you are interested. It would only be a couple hundred more than the rebuild kit.

Andy, I have a 99' HO with 50,000 on it that you can buy real cheap, it will also have the computer. It only needs the flex plate and I think someone in our club has an HO plate laying around somewhere. You can PM if you are interested. It would only be a couple hundred more than the rebuild kit.

Hmmmmm......would my RENIX head bolt to the 99 block? Does the 99 block have provisions for a knock sensor?

I really want to keep the RENIX to keep the emissions and wiring simple. The trouble with switching to the late model stuff is that the whole wiring harness is different. I want to try and make the Swamp LAke trip, so I have to keep custom stuff to a minimum.....

In short, Rob, I'm interested in the motor if my RENIX junk will bolt to it. Anybody know?

CRASH

You know I don't have any knowledge on that. I just bought it in case my engine went someday but who knows when that will be. I can see about how much of the wiring I can get from the donor vehicle if you wanted to do the wiring, but hopefully someone will have the info on the swap.

I may even try to look at a dealer shop manual and see of the block has the same provisions.

Just think you will have that cool intake manifold that everyone wants:D

Yeah, but I'd have to figure out how to make the manifold work on a Renix head, or use the 99 head and figure out how to make the Renix computer work with it. Then there is the problem of the EGR......99's don't have this provision, and the smog man is not going to be pleased if I show up without one.

More questions: would the aftermarket headers designed for my 88 fit on the 99 head......something tells me no????

CRASH

Hum theres a few good questions posted. I'm not sure if the 99 block has a knock sensor spot or not. But as for the HO head and intake they will work with the renix. you just need to do alittle work with the TPS to work on the HO TB. That in its self is a great mod. Not sure how to work with the ERG. But any header for an HO will work in and 88 with an HO intake and head.I'm sure theres a way to fool both the computer and the smog ref with out and egr set up.

I would go for a used low mileage motor like Rob has a hook up for. A 4.0 is not a great motor to rebuild the thin cylinder walls make it hard to keep cool, boreing it out only makes it worse. I have a buddy that works at Kragen, he says he won't sell any reman 4.0s because all the ones he knows of have cooling issues, also he says the mopar longblocks are pretty reasonable, we have a Mopar parts guy in the club, maybe he could hook you up. Plus I think it is more cost effective to go the junkyard motor route.

Use the Renix controls on the HO head and intake, it takes a little jerry rigging but a Renix TPS can work on an HO TB, Keven tried it with little luck but others have had good luck. Keven is a good one to talk to about the downfalls of the swap he hit about all of them :) I will email you a Cached webpage on some of the mods.

Too much trouble to make it smog legal for CA. You would need to switch everything over to the HO computer and harness. I know an article was refered to recently about someone who put an HO motor in a Renix rig, and adapted the Renix computer to the HO intake and exhaust, but it wasn't done in CA. You need the EGR valve and the heat riser off of the exhaust manifold, among other things.

Thats true I forgot about the EGR stuff, the HO intake still looks like it has the EGR mount so I was going to bolt it on and run vac lines to it, thats all they care about is that it matches the little schematic. My jeep smogged cleaner with the EGR blocked than it did with it functioning for some reason. When I was planning on usings Matts stroker motor I was just going to bolt the EGR valve on.

If its all to much of a pain you can use your renix intake on the HO head its not a perfect port match but its a jeep not a race car. Otherwise you are paying for a rebuilt head or putting on a 200k mile head on your motor. Of course you could probably sell that fancy 99 intake on JU for a good portion of the rebuilt head.

So, if I wanted to get a short block, will any of the years of 4.0 work, prior to the distributorless system? The thing I'm most concerned about is the knock sensor provision and the head bolts matching up. It would be pretty cheap to rebuild my RENIX head, and I actually like the extra torque down low of the RENIX motors. Byusing my old head, I eliminate the concerns of the headers and the intake.

Also, any aftermarket cam recommendations? Mopar stage II grind or similar? Remember, this needs to pass smog.......

CRASH

Count on Beezil for penetrating insight.

CRASH

Go and buy a motor rebuilt and ready to go. The time of rebuilding would probably outway the extra cost of the motor. I will be building a stroker motor but that would be over a period of a year until I kill the other motor.

Back