• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED ideas....

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
gettin bored with the XJ due to money... i need some cheap electrical mod ideas..

ive done alot of things already... so be creative

im about to make the head light switch actual rocker switches, and do some crazy wiring with my alarm

bring the ideas... heh.

already done it, cuz my cigerette lighter doesnt function as one anymore... its how i start the engine

Picture005.jpg

you start the engine through the cigarette lighter?

why?

i have a battery that works on my rig -
fix that problem - theres an idea...

another cool thing to do - shaved door handles - so that you can open the doors remotely...

or do one of these:
688128_40_full.jpg

XJ_ranger said:

why?

rolleyes.gif
yeh, i press the ciggerette lighter and wait for it to get red hot then crawl under the jeep and touch it to my starter... somehow the heat generates an electrical current of 12volts and 800 amps to turn the starter

...ill be sure that when u break into my jeep to leave instructions on how to start it, cuz u still wouldnt understand ... i got a battery too
rolleyes.gif
.. optima red tops are quite nice

also shaving door handles is cheap and easy but paint and the door popers arent ... but u know thanks for the post

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:

why?

another cool thing to do - shaved door handles - so that you can open the doors remotely...

or do one of these:
688128_40_full.jpg
:puke:
Although the shaved door look is nice (there is one local). If you want to help me out while doing something for yourself. Help find a laptop mount for early model jeeps! Something with no drilling and an adjustable arm. I've been looking everywhere and no one seems to make em anymore. Or depending on your year model, you could try to relocate the Hvac controls and radio and install a 5-7" LCD screen for either some movie veiwing or GPS.

I went out and measured the space where the radio and HVAC goes. Looks to be about 9 1/2 - 10 inches at the diag. This is one of the mods I have wanted to do for a long time. Putting the biggest screen possible there and having a box computer (mini ATX cube case) under the passenger seat or dash for stereo /video/gps at your fingertip. I am also trying to retrofit newer style XJ and grand HVAC/light stiches in.

JVRacer04 said:
:rolleyes: yeh, i press the ciggerette lighter and wait for it to get red hot then crawl under the jeep and touch it to my starter... somehow the heat generates an electrical current of 12volts and 800 amps to turn the starter

...ill be sure that when u break into my jeep to leave instructions on how to start it, cuz u still wouldnt understand ... i got a battery too:rolleyes:.. optima red tops are quite nice

also shaving door handles is cheap and easy but paint and the door popers arent ... but u know thanks for the post

dude - you rock! i gave you some crap, and you took it in stride - Welcome to NAXJA.

let JVRacer04 be an example to all newbs on how to take guff, for what its worth...

::sees light at end of tunnel::

back on topic -
i was thinking that some lights under the hood would be awesome for the inevitable times when you broke something at the end of the day and its now dark outside and your working to get the rig to a point where it can get home without more damage...

something like the snakelight only mounted...

-Ranger

XJ_Ranger said:
dude - you rock! i gave you some crap, and you took it in stride - Welcome to NAXJA

let JVRacer04 be an example to all newbs on how to take guff, for what its worth...
x2
JVRacer04 said:
...ill be sure that when u break into my jeep to leave instructions on how to start it, cuz u still wouldnt understand
I've been thinking about something like that, I'm just wondering how you decided to rig it (NSS lead, starter relay lead. etc.) I'm not sure which would be the easiest or safest to have the relay in right now (assuming you used the relay method). Feel free to PM me if you're really worried about divulging top-secret information! :laugh3:

Have you done 12V relays for the headlights yet? How about 1-2 gear over-ride switch? If your rig is the older style lights, how about the blinking marker lights mod? Just a few thoughts....

Inexpensive alarm mods
Add auto windows to your alarms.. DEI make the 429T (up only) and 430T (up and down) modules. Arm you alarm and windows go up. And they are cheep... like 30 to 50 bucks..

Ghost switch your starter interrupt.. Take a Cig lighter or whatever and make it switch to deactivate your starter interrupt on your alarm. You just need to have it grounded to engage and un-ground to deactivate.

Dual sirens. One in front and one in back up by the front of the gas tank.

What LED's are you using for the alarm. You could remove the outer casing and just back load the lights.. Makes them brighter and pretty much invisible when not armed.

Dome light supervision to time light the dome lights when you disarm you alarm.. Your alarm may already have this option it just needs to be hooked up with a relay. If not you can get a timed relay for about 20 bucks.

Electrical Mods
Day time running lights hooked to your ignition switch. With and override of course

I can’t think of anything else right now.

have fun.

how about a hydraulic jack that comes out of the bottm of your jeep (at the angle of your choice) on both sides of your jeep when you press a button, and prapells you forward if you get stuck; kinda like an automatic highlift that jacks at an angle. It could have a foot on it that has a pivot ball so that it grabs the ground with all traction.

All the kinks need worked out, but I think it could work. You could also have interchangable feet for the hydraulic arms that drop down to customize how this system works on different terrains. Example: If you are climbing a steep hill, have claw feet that connect to the arm, so that you can claw your way up.
It might add a little weight, so what.....if it is built right, it wouldnt have to be too heavy for it to work.

For the money it would cost to build it.....get a winch. You cant always use a winch effectivley although. Im just thinking out loud.

Brian

Last edited:
nhrocker said:
x2

I've been thinking about something like that, I'm just wondering how you decided to rig it (NSS lead, starter relay lead. etc.) I'm not sure which would be the easiest or safest to have the relay in right now (assuming you used the relay method). Feel free to PM me if you're really worried about divulging top-secret information! :laugh3:

Have you done 12V relays for the headlights yet? How about 1-2 gear over-ride switch? If your rig is the older style lights, how about the blinking marker lights mod? Just a few thoughts....

lol yep ive done all of these mods except the 1-2 gear over ride

P1atinum said:
Inexpensive alarm mods
Add auto windows to your alarms.. DEI make the 429T (up only) and 430T (up and down) modules. Arm you alarm and windows go up. And they are cheep... like 30 to 50 bucks..

Ghost switch your starter interrupt.. Take a Cig lighter or whatever and make it switch to deactivate your starter interrupt on your alarm. You just need to have it grounded to engage and un-ground to deactivate.

Dual sirens. One in front and one in back up by the front of the gas tank.

What LED's are you using for the alarm. You could remove the outer casing and just back load the lights.. Makes them brighter and pretty much invisible when not armed.

Dome light supervision to time light the dome lights when you disarm you alarm.. Your alarm may already have this option it just needs to be hooked up with a relay. If not you can get a timed relay for about 20 bucks.

Electrical Mods
Day time running lights hooked to your ignition switch. With and override of course

I can’t think of anything else right now.

have fun.

ive thought about alot of stuff to do with my alarm, i was going to make my roof lights come on with the 2ndary fucntion on the remote but that is only a 3 second signal... i would want it a constant power source so i was having troubles figuring that out....
and i dont have power windows , but taht would be nice

led for alarm is a LED scanner mounted to the rearview mirror

where can i buy these timed relays?

thanks everyone for the ideas... might get some rock lights in the process of my broke-ness...

In that case the 1-2 overide should me MORE than easy! Then you can come up with your own wiring projects to share with us! :laugh3:

well here was a fuse block i did under the rear seat. controls a number of things....
HPIM0512.jpg

and for the cigerette lighter all i did was took the(green in my case) wire that went from the starter relay to the key switch and moved it to the cigerette lighter along with 12V. then after that i bent the prong on the cig lighter so that it wouldnt stay down and now functions as a push switch

so all i do is put the key in turn it to the run position and push the cig lighter instead of turning the key more

i also might add a 3rd brake light and id really like some extra reverse lights, i was lookin at LED trailer lights but those are a lil expensive

Good pic and great idea on the lighter!

The lead for the starter relay, where did you cut into that? Under the hood somewhere or actually on the steering column?

Also, where did you get the components for that fuse block and what guage wire did you run back there for it? I've already got an 8 guage lead for my amp, but I upgraded to an 800 watt, so as it is I need to upgrade and was thinking of doing just what you did with the block. I was thinking of using some 1 guage welding cable to handle the power of the amp, additional power outlets, possibly OBA in the future, and possibly a second amp. I just don't know what to do for the fuse block.

cut into the lead under the dash...

i had 4 gauge wire that went straight to the amp, but now i just ran that spliter with 4 goin to the fuse block and 8 goin to the amp

Cool, sounds easy enough.

How did you trace that starter lead under the dash? I just want to make sure I get the right one. And do I need to run a 12V straight from a constant power source to the lighter, then replace the ground with the lead that goes to the starter relay? Or can I leave the power to the lighter as it is (only powered when the key is run position) and just replace the ground with the starter lead? Since the key would have to be in the run position anyway, wouldn't that work?

yeah, extra back up lights are always fun. Ummm, kinda out of the realm of electrical, but lift struts for your hood. I fabbed up some of my own, like the liftgate in the rear, but with the hood. No more fumbling in the dark for the stupid hood prop thing. Fab up some brackets for the struts and put one on either side and it lifts up fine. Guess you have to trust your hood up lock more now though, lol. Dual electrical fans....just swap out your clutch fan for electric and wire in the stock electric fan so you have dual. Then further wire it so you can manually select one or both fans to operate at the same time. Wire into that the thermostat so your fan comes on at a preset temp (a thermostat from JEGS or SUMMIT should do fine) and your rocking. I know there's a ton of debate between clutch and electrical fans, but its always nice to have total control over your jeep, right? That's all for now folks.

Back