• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with factory 4.10 gearing, does this exist?

BeJay1981

NAXJA Forum User
My 35 is pretty much fried (sounds like a grinder) and I'd like to get my hands on a 8.25 for an easy upgrade/swap. The only thing is that I've regeared to 4.10's. And to save time and $ I'd like to find one with that ratio already. I don't care if it's open, but ABS preffered.

Did Chrysler offer that diff. with those gears? If so, how common was it?

I know it's a little more work, but check out the newer ford 8.8's. They can be found with 4.10's, limited slips, and disc brakes stock. Just another option that would be even better than an 8.25 for your money. Or you could find a fully set up 8.25 from someone who is upgrading to a larger axle.

8.25's with 4.10's seem to be really hard to find, but I know they never had ABS. XJ's with ABS had the D35 rear end.

HTH

I have heard about the 8.8 being an option.

What exactly is involved in setting one up for the XJ? I've read that the spring perches need to be rewelded to the other side to make it a SOA as well as the shock mounts need to be changed. Is this all?

On average, how much can one of these be had at a junk yard? And how much would it be for a welding shop to change the perches and shock mounts?

In theory, with the perches flat (0 degrees) how many degrees up or down does the pinion sit on a factory XJ rear? I know I could have them changed slightly to compliment my lift, but howabout a baseline?

BeJay1981 said:
My 35 is pretty much fried (sounds like a grinder) and I'd like to get my hands on a 8.25 for an easy upgrade/swap. The only thing is that I've regeared to 4.10's. And to save time and $ I'd like to find one with that ratio already. I don't care if it's open, but ABS preffered.

I believe they came stock with 4.10 in 2.8 liter with 5 speen trannys...correct me if im wrong!

nhrocker said:
I know it's a little more work, but check out the newer ford 8.8's. They can be found with 4.10's, limited slips, and disc brakes stock. Just another option that would be even better than an 8.25 for your money. Or you could find a fully set up 8.25 from someone who is upgrading to a larger axle.

8.25's with 4.10's seem to be really hard to find, but I know they never had ABS. XJ's with ABS had the D35 rear end.

HTH

I don't think that is set in stone, but I doubt you'll actually ever find a ABS 8.25 eather. The 4.10 came with the 4cly, and most likely the D35.

I'm pretty sure I've seen ones converted to ABS, and I think I've seen ones out of other vehicles that had ABS, but I don't think XJ's had 8.25 with ABS. You may be able to find one. In my case, I would rather not have ABS, so I'm happy that I have a non ABS 8.25. It definitely isn't "set in stone." There are so many things in XJ's that were randomly different or constantly changing during production that I can't keep track of. It keeps you on your toes when you go to do work and you find that something is different than you thought.

rock rash said:
I believe they came stock with 4.10 in 2.8 liter with 5 speen trannys...correct me if im wrong!
by this i mean dana 30 and chrys 8.25. No idea about d30. search local "pull and save" type of thing and offer your rear axle as a trade. Should only need an extra 50-100 bucks to trade. Not a bad deal if their in good shape.

rock rash said:
by this i mean dana 30 and chrys 8.25. No idea about d30. search local "pull and save" type of thing and offer your rear axle as a trade. Should only need an extra 50-100 bucks to trade. Not a bad deal if their in good shape.
He's looking for a Chrysler 8.25. That was not used back when the 2.8-liter engine was in the XJ ... 1984 thru 1986. All of those will be Dana 35s.

If looking for an 8.25, you might as well look for a 29-spline, which means 1997 or newer XJs. Only the 4-cylinder XJs had 4.10 gears in those years. 4.10s were NOT an option with the 4.0L engine.

Eagle said:
He's looking for a Chrysler 8.25. That was not used back when the 2.8-liter engine was in the XJ ... 1984 thru 1986. All of those will be Dana 35s.

If looking for an 8.25, you might as well look for a 29-spline, which means 1997 or newer XJs. Only the 4-cylinder XJs had 4.10 gears in those years. 4.10s were NOT an option with the 4.0L engine.
thanks for the correction!:)

teh only ones i ever saw it in was the pre 95 police edition xj's. they had the 8.25 with the 4:10's. a friend of mine has one in his xj which i thik has a blown tranny. he was running 33'S or 35's i am not sure.

BeJay1981 said:

!!!!!!I have a newer 29 spline 8.25, 4.10 ratio out of an XJ for $300. It is in Illinois though. No 8.25 from a XJ is ABS. I also have a 1,000 mile used Powertrax no-slip locker for it as well. Do not buy a 8.25" pre-97, they are nearly as inferior as the Dana 35.

The XJ Dana 44 is a rip off at this point. They are becomming so sought after/rare that the price you pay for a XJ Dana 44 direct bolt-in swap would be more than it would cost to buy a Ford 8.8" rear AND take it to a shop to have them weld new perches on and slap it in. PLus the 44 is weaker than the 8.8".
The 29-spline 8.25" are reasonably priced still (cheaper than 8.8's), direct bolt-in and only marginally weaker (only on paper really) that a Dana 44.

JMotorsprt said:
Would a XJ D44 be a viable option? What is the gearing on the D44?
3.07 with the 5-speed, 3.55 with the auto.

I don't know if the Dana 44 was ever offered with a 4-cyl and deeper gearing. The only D44s I have seen or heard about were in 87 XJs or MJs with the 4-liter engine.

My bad its a LP d30 up front and an 8.25 rear. Whats weird is i have an ABS light on my dash and it lights up when i brake extremely quick or hard... but i checked the fuses on the right side by the ac unit and sure enough where the Abs motor fuse is supposed to be there is none. So maybe i have a weird guage cluster. This is good news... now i can change my brake pads without even needing to use the bleeder valve to let out fluid. Jeeps are never what they seem.

Back