• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New front winch bumper

saltilloxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for a new bumper for the front of my 90 xj. I see pics of tons of custom bumpers but no one seems to have detailed plans to build one. I can't afford to buy one new so I need something simple that I can do myself I would like to go ahead and build something winch ready, with high clearence. But I definitly need something with good tow hooks. So if anyone has plans they could give me that would be great and any details of what not to do and what to do.

try a search, most people that build there own bumper start with a rough idea or sketch or copy off someone elses. then take measurements for mounting brackets, winch plate size, overall width, etc. then just go from there. i doubt that anyone accualy made step by step plans with theres, i know i didnt.

kolby

My bumper build page. I just made it "look" right.
http://hometown.aol.com/xjtim/index1.html
thumbnail.jpg

here's a decent shot of mine,
514361_23_full.jpg

materials used:
-about 12" of 2x3" rectangle tubing for the corner pieces
-about 55" of "C" cahnnel 2x6" for the main body of the bumper
-about 18" of 6x5/8" flat bar for the "pass-through" mounts/"D" Ring attatchment points *instead of tow-hooks*
-about 20x2" of 10g sheet metal to "re-plate" the portion of the bottom c-channel flange removed
- about 20" of 1"x1/2" flat-bar for bracing the corner tubing back to the frame mounting plate..
the body of the bumper (the C-channel) is angled back about 15D @ either side of the frame mount (6" flat bar)

this particular bumber isn't exactly *winch-mount-ready* but slight modifications to its original construction or its current configuration could be made to do so..
it cost less than $200 & less than 10 hrs to build

saltilloxj said:
Thanks guys for the help. I would love to stay under $200. Anymore things I should keep in mind?
Get scrap steel and you'll spend under $100 for parts. Then just cut it up and weld it up:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=te2xbqn.61yryfpv&x=0&y=-jb0mb5

If you're going after a good approach angle, it might help to start with the winch and build around it. The winch tray (box?) on mine fits the winch pretty good and is as small as I could get it.
For the mounts to frame use at least 1/4" steel (this time around I got 1/2" mounts after messing up my 3/16" mounts on the last bumper). My tray is 1/4" and the sides are also 1/4" square tubing.
Another thing often overlooked is the reinforcement of the front crossmember. I tied the two front pieces of angle iron to each other (the pieces that are used for bumper mount reinforcement or tow hook bracket mounting) with 1x3 square tubing.

Back