• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle to help sagging stock rear end

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my '99, and after putting on new 235/75 MT's, it's pretty evident that the back end is sagging. Can I use a 1" Daystar or .75" Rusty's shackle as a temporary fix? I plan to get a 3" lift, but probably won't be able afford to until later this summer. Will a shackle lift get me by until then?

A longer shackle will be fine as long as you extend your bumpstops the corresponding amount.

I have the same issue but im torn between getting revolver shackles or just a 1.5" to 2" shackle?? Which would u guys prefer?? Mine is a 95 sport and is a daily driver. I will eventually do exactly what he's doing but will get a kit with a full length add a leaf. Opinions welcome.

Add a leafs are cheap. 30-35 bucks will get you back up where you should be and even a little higher. I wouldn't put any money into it unless you plan on using it later. So in this case, you could get shackles (1.75") and use them on when you finally lift your vehicle. That way you have no lost investment.

Not a huge fan of the revolver shackles myself, I don't like the way they unload when you don't want them to. I have seen some in action though and I will admit they are kinda cool! I would spend your money on other mods first and do that one later if you feel the need. my 2 cents

(License Plate)
"IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER!"

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
Inland Northwest Adventures.com
ELKWA02052005-JUMP.jpg

jdbwrx said:
I just bought my '99, and after putting on new 235/75 MT's, it's pretty evident that the back end is sagging. Can I use a 1" Daystar or .75" Rusty's shackle as a temporary fix? I plan to get a 3" lift, but probably won't be able afford to until later this summer. Will a shackle lift get me by until then?

I would not advise it. Lift shackles on a stock leaf pack will sag them fairly quick. So you'll lose whatever you just gained in a short time, in some cases it isn't uncommon for the shackle to invert the packs as well.......... :wierd:

If you are planning on a 3" lift, just do AALs for now, and get a whole new pack when you lift it............ :lecture:

jdbwrx said:

They'll work fine. If you offraod it much go to a junk yard and get a set of MJ bump stops for $3 so you don't invert your springs. When yopu get your shackle get something like the RE (has a cut out part) or a boomerang shackle. They wont hit the back of the mounting box when you flex it out.
Also save your stock shakles for later you may end up needing them when you get your new leaf packs.
For cheaper shackles find some stock MJ's

Back