• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle questions

scottd29

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed a little clunking from the rear of my jeep yesterday. It only happens when I let off the gas and coast. First thought was maybe u-joints but the driveshaft and u-joints are less than 2 months old. Anyway, I got out and started pulling on the rear wheels and found out that when I pull the drum is actually pulling out a little bit and clunking back against the axle housing. Thought maybe it wasn't seated correctly so took the wheel and drum off and the play is actually the axle on both sides about 1/8". The rear was just worked on about a month and a half ago. New spider gears, thrust washers, and some bearings (drove around for about 5 months without a SYE). The vehicle is a 95 with a stock Dana 35, what could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Standard C-clip play, don't worry about it. You can tighten it up a bit by using a thicker C-clip inside the diff, but it's really not worth the effort.

The clunkiness could be a trans mount gone bad.

CRASH

Back