• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sensitive to being low on gas?

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
I know i've posted alot of prolly stupid questions, but this afternoon I almost had a stall out in the middle of a busy intersection.

I was pulling out of my neighborhood, making a left turn. There was traffic coming, so I got on the gas MILDLY to get out in front of the traffic, by no means wide open. I get about half way into the intersection, just happened to look down at the tach, and right as it hit 3000, the Jeep bucked really badly, lost all power, RPM's dropped down do around 500-600 (my foot is still on the gas, and harder now), and all of a sudden, got all power back, and sling shot me through the intersection. At the time, I had b/w 1/4 and 1/8 a tank of gas left.

Are these things really that picky about how low you run the tank down to? I was trying to make it stretch to Friday when I get my pay check, but instead, ended up paying an extra $30 in gas, that I didn't plan for. When I filled up, It only took 14 gallons. Which ment I had 6 left. I could understand this happening if I had maybe 2 or 3 gallons left, but 6 seems to be a bit much.

Anyone else have this happen before?

Never happened to me. I filled up today and put 20.2 gallons in my 20 gallon tank and no sputtering.

My 95 does that alot when im under a quarter tank and take off medium/hard to the left.

robz95xj said:
My 95 does that alot when im under a quarter tank and take off medium/hard to the left.

MY 89 is crazy about doing that. It drives me nuts. I just try and keep it above 1/2 otherwise it's a stallin mofo.

Ofcourse, It isn't running at all right now.

Same symptoms before my CPS went. Now I can drive on fumes (not purposely)
W/ no cut out...

My '98 is the same, left turn and on the gas spudders then picks up. I thought it was a Jeep thing I didn't understand.

I tried it again with the full tank, and of course, not one problem......I know Jeeps are quirky and all, but the middle of a busy intersection is not the place to be cuttin out on me...LOL

robz95xj said:
Seems to be common to the 84-01 models actually. It apparently has something to do with already being low on fuel (Cherokee fuel senders are notoriously inaccurate anyway), and making fast left turns...it's almost always taken care of by adding fuel to the tank... :laugh3:

it's almost always taken care of by adding fuel to the tank

Well my gas tank has been smashed in to the point that I have trouble putting fuel into it(it takes me twice as long to put gas in it now). But im getting a new tank this spring with a skidrow skid plate so ill never have to go threw this trouble again.

Yucca-Man said:
(Cherokee fuel senders are notoriously inaccurate anyway)

Tell me about it... My '01 would chime and turn on the fill-me-up-now-jackass light with 10-15 miles' range left (ask me how I obtained those numbers - hint: it involves the desert), but the 2000 turns it on with 2-3 gallons left. On a full tank, the distance to empty indicator tells me I'm good for around 270 miles, but it's really more like 340-400 depending on the driving I'm doing.

Noticed mine seems to be off some times as well. Couple of fill ups ago It read half a tank, and I put 15 gallons in it. If ya do the math, that should be reading 1/4 a tank left on the guage.....and this time around it was pretty accurate. Why are they so inaccurate?

fill-me-up-now-jackass light....that was funny...LOL!

One more thing....

Running the tank under approx 1/4 tank (real, not just indicated) can start to cause gas pump problems as the pump is surrounded by fuel...cooling it. Running too low too often may help promote early fuel pump death.

I normally fill back up between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank, but I don't get a pay check till tomorrow, and it will not be in the bank till saturday, so I was trying to make it stretch till sat. Which didn't work...lol.

Mine does it too, about when I know I need about 16 gallons of gas, does it on left turns and steep uphill accelerations, guess all the gas goes to the back or side of the tank, starves the pump. My sender has always been off so I drive by my odometer, it's kind of a warning especially when I forget to reset it on fill up.
Once I let off the gas it comes right back.

Back