• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle

With the vacuum disco, you're relying on the vacuum motor to lock the passenger side two peice axleshaft together. You've got a little fork sliding a locking collar over splined sections on the axleshafts.

XJs with disco axles never had 297x joints in the axles. To just upgrade the joint size, you need to get the passenger side shaft from a '95 YJ. To go to one-peice shafts - OEM or alloy - you need to install new seals in the housing. It kinda sucks if you don't have the proper tools.

If I were to do it again, I think I would get a non-disco housing before I regeared. Finding non-disco shafts is easier the finding disco shafts, especially with 297x joints instead of the older 260 joints. I also like the simpler design.

Phil said:
To go to one-peice shafts - OEM or alloy - you need to install new seals in the housing. It kinda sucks if you don't have the proper tools.

You need ONE seal. #11771. You don't need "proper" tools (just need a big socket and a ball peen), but if you want, Autozone has a seal installer kit.

The disco housing is cast right there, so if anything, its a lil stronger.

The Warn kit has a seal outboard of the disco motor and a seal by the diff.

"Proper tools" would be a big hammer or other suitable striking implement.

Phil said:
The Warn kit has a seal outboard of the disco motor and a seal by the diff.

Warn Kit doesnt work with XJ axles... or at least it didnt with mine. Maybe just for YJ axles? I didnt know they were different.

And WHY would you want 2 seals?

The Warn kit seems to be working on my axle so far. It was an MJ axle, but that shouldn't make a difference.

The only reason I can see for 2 seals, is you can screw up the installation of one and rely on the other.

I also have a D30 disco and was thinking of locking it in the future. If you put a solid axle in there would this increase the chance getting front driveshaft vibes at street speeds becuase it now it permenatly spins?

Or just install a Posilock cable actuator and leave it. This will allow you to 'disengage' the locker when turning. Also pseudo 2WD Low Range.

Back