• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice needed on leaking front 231 Xfrer case shaft

jammerjamesharmon

NAXJA Forum User
I got a heavy leak on the front output shaft of my 231 Xfer case. I guess it is leaking around the shaft and coming out at the DCJ. Anyone change this seal, from what I've read, the unit needs pulled and the cases split.

Leak.jpg

Thanks
james
www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

Yeah,
That's the way I'd do it.
Split the case, pull the front shaft, Punch out the seal, reinstall the seal, the shafts/chain and glue it back to gether.
I did my tera low rebuild in 4 hours, R&R and case mods. Not to difficult.
http://www.teraflx.com/ has PDF instructions for splitting the case with exploded parts diagrams

You don't have to split the case to replace that seal, just make sure you don't nick the shaft when removing the old seal. If it's only leaking between the splines, just clean up the shaft and yoke, put the yoke back on, put some ultra-black around the end of the splines, and torque the nut down.

Sparkman said:
You don't have to split the case to replace that seal, just make sure you don't nick the shaft when removing the old seal. If it's only leaking between the splines, just clean up the shaft and yoke, put the yoke back on, put some ultra-black around the end of the splines, and torque the nut down.

I think you are right about leaking around the spines, so I can pull the shaft out when I loosen the nut?

First reply post states ya got to split the cases, it makes sense that you don't have to do this, (for the seal too) if you can pull the shaft out when the nut is taken off.

BTW this all started when I got really stuck in deep mud with a lot of sand. See picts here:

http://www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmont4/Amarillo2005

You can't pull the front output shaft from the yoke end. It has the chain gear on the other end. It doesn't come out that way.
You could try and replace the seal with the shaft in, but you risk damaging the seal on the shaft as you use the '3 lb jeep wrench' to seat the seal.
check out the PDF files on the link, it has a couple of service manual diagrams, it will become clear.
The right way is to split the case. While you're in there you could add your SYE kit, inspect the chain and other components as well.

Matt a non member sent me this info, it is very informative!!!!

I just had the same problem.

You don’t need to take the transfer case out. First you need to take the front driveshaft out. Be careful taking the bolts out... use a 6pt they strip really easy. I stripped one and had to go the dealer for a new bolt. They are 5/16 I believe. They have some sort of thread lock on the bolts but its yellow I’ve never seen that before anyway once you get the driveshaft out you need to take the jam nut off of the yoke on the t-case to pull it out. Make sure to put your t-case in 4-lo before trying to get the nut off. This is 1 1/8. I couldn’t get it to budge with a breaker bar but I was lucky enough to have a $2000 snap-on torque multiplier at my disposal but an impact gun should do fine. When you pull the yoke out after you get the nut off gear oil will spurt out unless you drain it first via the plug on the backside. I used a screwdriver and a hammer to pry the seal out. Hit the screwdriver between the t-case and the flange on the seal.. I had to beat the -=-=-=-= out of it about half way around before it would pry out. Once you have it out put the new seal in.. use a socket with the same diameter as the seal to hit it in... It’s a press fit. be careful not to damage the seal. Then reassemble to same way you took it apart. I wet the seal and the yoke a little with gear oil before I reassembled it. If you have any questions email me back.. I cant post yet on jeepforum but I am workin on it.

Yeah look for a washer seal too. Yeah I didn’t mention it because my jeep didn’t have it that's why it still leaked after. Whoever did it last forgot to put it back in. I have to take a trip to the dealer to get it. Parts stores don’t even have it listed. I think it’s supposed to be between the yoke and the nut. I just bought this xj and I'm still going through it to make sure everything is all set. People do strange things to vehicles.

Back