• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any body got a front driveshaft?

danny boy

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all,

Here's my dilemma: i'm planning a glamis trip on the 17th but my front driveshaft vibrates so much i can't do more than 55 on the freeway. it's just totally worn out. a local shop quoted me around $200 to rebuild it which is too rich for this college boy's blood.

So, i'm giving a call to action. if anyone has a front driveshaft in good condition that they are willing to sell/trade/or give me i would definitely be interested. the main problem with my old one was that it wobbled in the center. i bought a junkyard one which lasted a few days but then developed the same problem.

Or, if no one has one available, is there a CHEAP shop that can fix mine? or is there another vehicle that i could get one from that would work? i know, totally pathetic.

i have an '89 4.0/ax15/231/hp d30 and will be willing to pick up or whatever is necessary.

thanks a lot in advance,

danny

it cost me 60 bucks for a rebuild kit and only took about a hour to do. just watch those zerk fittings they need to face a certian direction or the shaft will bottom out on them.

danny boy said:
Howdy all,

Here's my dilemma: i'm planning a glamis trip on the 17th but my front driveshaft vibrates so much i can't do more than 55 on the freeway. it's just totally worn out. a local shop quoted me around $200 to rebuild it which is too rich for this college boy's blood.
What's worn out on it? The ujoints? the centering ball joint (or whatever that thing is called) or the spline part?
Anyways, there is a driveshaft shop up in Placentia that does good work for a decent price (I think it cost me about $20 for a balance and a new collar for my rear driveshaft). I don't have their number handy but if you send a message to Clean RC I'm pretty shure he knows it.
Also have you checked out any of the local boneyards yet? You can get a really nice front driveshaft for pretty cheap sometimes.

Give Ray a call at OC Driveline in Placentia, his # is 714-993-6494. He does great work and is fair priced compaired to the likes of other shops... If not I have my old stock one taking up space in the garage...

If ya need I have one I can send ya with all good parts but missing the rear U jiont will do for like 60.00 shipped. (shipping will be almost 35.00)

thanks a lot fellas!

the part on my shaft that is bad is here the splines meet in the middle. instead of just going in and out, it wobbled in 3 dimensions.

rc, thanks for the shop #. i'll call, but that one in your garage is mighty tempting. you've got a pm.

thanks again,
dan

Back