• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Hitch Question

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put a front hitch on my 89 XJ. My question is will I be able to put one on even though I have a factory front skid in place or will I have to take it off? Or do they mount over one another?

Here is the page on hitches versus front hooks: http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/jeep-tow-hooks.html... good reading... so I am glad you have decided on a front hitch anyways. Yeah, I realize that there is a fronthook vs front hitch debate going on; but unless you go with a aftermarket front bumper with a reciever hitch on it... this is the best way.

Here is a page on installing a front hitch: http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/front-hitch-install.html

Mine didn't have a front skid plate when I had my front hitch installed... so I am not sure if you can install a front hitch with skid plates on.

:viking:

It should work with the front skid but I think you'll need to drop the skid whiule you install the hitch. Good opportunity to put anti-sieze on all bolts.

Draw-tite instructions say to remove and discarde.The hitch will cover the bolts that are in the radiator support that the skid bolts in and this area needs to be smooth(no Bolt heads).
Someone modified their skid to mount higher but I believe this required that they cut the front of the skid for clearence.
Wayne

So exactly how much clearance are we gonna loose?
I like the idea but the loss of my approach angle worries me......

96mdxjcountry said:

On the Draw-tite the only thing you see is the 2"reciever cut into the air dam,and the chain loops on either side are at the bottom of the air dam.
So nothing is lower than the air dam.

Wayne

96mdxjcountry said:

Don't think there's really much loss at all. Like mentioned, the stock air dam sits in the same location, if you still have one.

637794_37_full.jpg

637794_38_full.jpg

637794_161_full.jpg

Back