• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-cyl auto

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Who has specifics regarding auto trannies used with the 4-cyl (and 2.8L) XJs? I've got a 4-cyl MJ with a blown clutch, and rather than replace the clutch I'm considering converting it to an automatic so my wife can drive it. Did Jeep use two autos (TF 904 followed by TF 999) over the years, or did they use the TF 909 for a few years in there?

Any issues replacing a 4-speed AX-4 with an auto?

Kudzu and Kevin put an auto in there 86. To my knowledge they used the 904 in the early xj. I have 2. Then later the 999 in the wranglers.

Hmmmm ...

Follow-up question: My fuzzy recollection is that in the last couple of years of XJ production they only offered the 4-cyl with the 5-speed tranny. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know what was the last year the XJ was offered with an automatic behind the 4-cylinder engine?

I replaced the AX5 in the MJ with a 904 out of an 86 XJ. I took the linkages, shifter, and sub floor assembly for the shifter, cables, 207 t case and X member when I did my conversion. You will also need the flexplate from the donor, and several different mounting brackets from a donor. Also, the shifter for the auto has a linkage that bolts to the floor, so measure where this bolts to. Another suggestion is to fabricate the tranny cooler lines before you put the tranny in. (ask me how I know this hehehehe) Put the biggest external cooler that you can on it, keep the cooling for the engine and tranny divorced. The NSS and backup light connections are different between the auto and AX5. I just wired a dash switch for the backup lights, and insure that the MJ is in PARK when I start her. Eventually, I want to replace the auto with another AX5. PM me if you have any other questions Eagle.

Our 89YJ has the 999 behind the 4.2L so I guess it's a strong enough tranny for the 2.5. One note, the 999 has an internal NSS switch, at least on our YJ and that puppy is freaking expensive. I bypassed ours so it starts in any gear.

Last year of the 4 popper in the xj was 99. They dropped it in 2000. And the auto was not used hardly at all after the early 90's... HTH...

In late '98 I bought (ordered) a new '99 2.5L w/ 5 speed and auto was an available option.
My buddy also ordered a '99 2.5L, but he did get the auto.
Thus autos were available at least until MY '99.

I'm in the middle of putting a rebuilt A904 in our 84 Cherokee. It's one of the AMC amalgamations of a Chrysler transmission inside (A904 with a lockup converter) and a Chevy bolt pattern (60&deg v6).

I had another 84 that I put in temporarily. I found the NSS/backup switches were actually slightly different, so I had to swap that between them. Something to keep an eye out for. I also found the other transmission didn't have the bushing in the shift linkage to let it pivot properly so the adjuster was always coming loose and when tight would make it nearly impossible to shift. Not a huge deal, but something to be sure you get in order to make it feel right. Also the shift linkage bolts to the bellhousing as well as using a pivot on the body side. I'm pretty sure on the 84 this piece is welded to the body. The nice thing about the 84 is the only electrical connection is the NSS, and the only linkage is the shift and TV linkage. This is a weird sort of rocker mechanism on the carbbed engine I've got, but I'm sure there are better solutions in later models.

I'm also running new transmission cooler lines. Something I wouldn't recommend to the weak of heart. I'm about to give up and just clean the originals thoroughly and putting them back in.

Just my $.02
Bill

On the torque converter side of things... make sure you know which tranny you have. The one with the lockup converter has a different input shaft then the one without lockup.... kudzu and kevin whent through that fiasco....

Does the 904 have a lock-up converter, or is that technically a 909? Did all the early XJs with the automatic have lock-up converters? If the only electrical connection is the NSS, how does the torque converter function?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've always driven manuals and this automatic stuff is new territory for me.

Althought I've never seen one yet, supposedly 87-90 2.5L XJ/MJ's had AW4's behind them. I've only ever seen 904's in the junkyards down here though.
Jeff

Eagle said:
Does the 904 have a lock-up converter, or is that technically a 909? Did all the early XJs with the automatic have lock-up converters? If the only electrical connection is the NSS, how does the torque converter function?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've always driven manuals and this automatic stuff is new territory for me.

yes you are right. does the 904 have a removable bell housing like the aw4? The nice thing about he 904/909 is no electronics to worry about

xjnation said:
yes you are right. does the 904 have a removable bell housing like the aw4? The nice thing about he 904/909 is no electronics to worry about

No. The bellhousing is not removable. Some 904's have a lockup converter not all. The aw-4 in a 4 poper mj is mearly an urban legend. Not proven by anyone yet. Even the Jeep literature from that day does not mention and optional 4 speed auto tranny. I have an 88 xj brochier.

Ghost said:
No. The bellhousing is not removable. Some 904's have a lockup converter not all. The aw-4 in a 4 poper mj is mearly an urban legend. Not proven by anyone yet. Even the Jeep literature from that day does not mention and optional 4 speed auto tranny. I have an 88 xj brochier.

Urban legend or not, Ive seen and touched a 2.5 XJ with an AW4. It was a late 80's vintage. It was also a California spec vehicle. I'm guessing they used it there to improve emissions w/ the OD. Mind you, this was one of literally thousands of Jeeps I worked on when at a dealer. So good luck finding one. A long shot may be to use a bellhsg. from an AX5 or 4 and mate that to any other normal AW4.

explorer said:
Urban legend or not, Ive seen and touched a 2.5 XJ with an AW4. It was a late 80's vintage. It was also a California spec vehicle. I'm guessing they used it there to improve emissions w/ the OD. Mind you, this was one of literally thousands of Jeeps I worked on when at a dealer. So good luck finding one. A long shot may be to use a bellhsg. from an AX5 or 4 and mate that to any other normal AW4.
any way to track down a part number for the bellhousing, flexplate, etc?

The problem with flexpates is that some have tone rings and some don't and if you look online or call the junk yard type places they will not put their hands on it to tell you one way or the other. through much research an 89YJ has the same flexplate.

And yes some Jeep stuff is not what the reg lit says so you must be sure of what you have before you try anything. Our 86 had a 4sp AX4 and we got a 904 and a 207 TC. But we had the wrong torque converter to begin with and had to swap out.

BrettM said:
any way to track down a part number for the bellhousing, flexplate, etc?

Yes, I just called my parts pimp at my former employer to have him check. The AW4 was offered behind 2.5's from 87-90. Part#'s come back discontinued and no stock on hand at any dealers nationwide. Thinking back, it was a 2wd MJ that I saw it on. But the parts book lists avail. as 2wd,4wd, XJ, or MJ. The bellhsg. swap from the AX4-5 might still work or be made to work, but I think when I ran into this Jeep, I did compare the bellhsg. pattern at the case and they didn't match. Still worth looking into.

As far as the flexplate, what injected Jeep 2.5 or 4.0 didn't use a flexplate w/ a tone ring? The sensors are different, but they always had them mounted at the flexplate that I've seen.

I managed to get the transmission lines run this evening as well as a few other things done that will get it bolted up hopefully by the end of the week so I can drive this thing again !

I stand corrected on the bracket bolting in versus welding in. It does indeed bolt in, looks like 3 nuts probably going to carriage bolts or something under the carpet.

All of the transmission shops I talked to just called it a 904 with a lockup converter. Peeking over people's shoulders too I never saw the 909 designation. Maybe that was an AMC only designation ?

Does anyone have a pic of the tone ring and such ? I'm looking at putting FI in this old XJ and have a YJ wiring harness and computer. Are there any other options like a front mount trigger system or anything ?

Bill

Back