• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nss troubles

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but no help yet, i am pulling off the nss according the the jeepin.com writeup, and i have go the large retaining nut and other 12 mm nut off but if i try to pry it off using the jeepin directions i start the strip the threaded post (or wahtever you call it) Anybody have any other ideas?
Thanks a bunch guys+girls

Mike

Is the nut down far enough to grab? The first time I tried it wasn't threaded down enough. Did it a bit more, and all was good. Maybe put a bit of PB blaster to help ease it off the post as well, as it maybe be kinda stuck there. I know mine was. Just be really patient and take your time.

i put that nut down as far as it would go but it still wanted to strip, i pryed a bit from the side and finally got the damn thing moving but now it seems to be stuck right at the end. I don't have to remove the linkage from the other side do I, i thought that the switch just slides on that post with the flats on the end that goes through the tranny? Thanks guys

Mike

When I took mine out a few years ago, I just got behind it with a couple lengths of flat bar stock (1" - 1.5" wide) and wiggled it off that way. I used the wide stock to spread the prying load, and it worked off fairly easily.

If it's really sticky, apply some transmission fluid or air-tool oil and let it work its way in - the openings are a little overlarge for PB Blaster (a heavier penetrant is indicated...)

5-90

well i got it really, i mean really close to the end, and then the threads on the switch itself stripped. cool! Anyway looks like i will be scavenging for a nss tomorrow, man it's glong to be cold in the junkyards! Hopefully i wil find an aw4 already out of a vehicle, anyone know if all the nss are the same on the aw4s?

Mike

mylilchero said:
well i got it really, i mean really close to the end, and then the threads on the switch itself stripped. cool! Anyway looks like i will be scavenging for a nss tomorrow, man it's glong to be cold in the junkyards! Hopefully i wil find an aw4 already out of a vehicle, anyone know if all the nss are the same on the aw4s?

Mike

Be careful if you try prying from behind the NSS. It's only plastic and takes next to nothing to snap it.
As for years, I've found that 88-90 all are the same, at least the ones I was checking out at the local wreckers.

well the two that i found in the not so local junkyard today both felt like stripping or breaking off one of the threaded ears with very little pressure applied. I have an 88 parts rig so maybe i will try to be sure duper careful and pull that one off, hopefully it will fit my 95. Thanks again

Mike

in comparison the one on my 88 just about removed itself!!! I just got through rebuilding it so now i am going to find a away to bust off the other one and put my freshly rebuilt one bck on. I SHOULD be easier to pull off now becuase i don't really care what happens to the one that's on there now. We'll see!!

Mike

Wow, i really muckled that old nss! It was a little difficult to get off but i still was able to do it. It got destroyed nd i think part of that was a little reserved anger working it's way out! Either way i will install the new one and if i have to dial it in. You guys have been a tremendous help and i'm sure that this isn't the end to this thread!

Mike

got the new one in but now she wont start and the shifter feels screwy. I think i may have bent the linakge a little bit on the other side when i was trying to tkae it off, it never did come off though any body got any picks ow what a stock linkage is supposed to look like? Hmm this has been a long day and its getting longer!

Mike

Did you adjust it according to the posted instructions? Doubt if you bent the linkage, recheck your elec. connections too. I had to play with mine to get it right, but it eventually worked. Not sure what years fit, but I'm running one out of a '94 in my '90

mylilchero said:
got the new one in but now she wont start and the shifter feels screwy. I think i may have bent the linakge a little bit on the other side when i was trying to tkae it off, it never did come off though any body got any picks ow what a stock linkage is supposed to look like? Hmm this has been a long day and its getting longer!

Great you got the other one off. I find that the 'back' being plastic tends to get really brittle. Tried pulling one of at the wreckers and it disintegraged pretty much, so when I took mine off, I was extra careful doing it.

Strange it won't start now though, but have to agree that maybe it just needs to be adjust a bit, as you'l notice it doesn't fit exactly one way. It can be moved a bit. Just play with it a bit, and see if you can get it on. Mine actually only will start in park, not neutral, but that's ok, as it doesn't bother me at all. My reverse lights are what worried me to get it cleaned and try it. I wired around the NSS so starting wasn't an issue at all. Only making sure I wasn't in gear when starting it up.

The linkage is a little screwed up because i bent it trying to take it off, alothough i never did. So will try to get that reshaped but i can't for the life of me get that damn bolts off it's on there tight. I can manaully shift the tranny into 1-2 and try to loosen it that whay but i get the feeling that would be bad for the tranny. I try to hold the linkage stationary while i pull the bolt off but that doesn't work so hot, maybe i'll just get it good enough for tonight and call it a weekend.

Mike

Back