• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd @#$%ed up

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
i have a hard time with my 4wd in my 93xj. I need to pull the lever up to N just to get it into 4 high, and i cant get it into 4 low. Now i cant get it out of 4wd, and it all feels lose and not as crisp as it 1s was.
I think it is from the Tcase drop when i put in my RE 4.5 lift, and it puting the linkage all out ow wack.
Being that its to damn cold to look at it and mess with it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to adjust it, and or is it more @#$%ed up than i think it is?

I had some binding after the install of the transfer case drop on my 87 and just fabbed up a lower mount that attached to the factory bracket. You will have to pull your carpet on the drivers side to access 4 - 10mm bolts that hold the linkage together. There is a little plastic bushing that may be wore out as well. The drop that I made was just out of angle iron that I had to bend back to 50-60* and just screwed to the bottom of the factory bracket.
1" makes a big difference on the linkage.
I don't have any pics and trashed the piece I made when I put in my SYE in December.

As a temp. fix to get back to two wheel, grab a buddy and a hammer. One of you needs to hold the shift lever all the way down in the cab. The other one needs to be under the Jeep to tap on the shift arm on the xfer case. Make sure the Jeep is in neutral and gently tap toward the front on the end of the arm. Do Not hit this arm full swing; you will probably break it. Once you get it in 2WD drive to the nearest auto parts store and invest $15 in a Chilton's manual that tells you exactly how to adjust the linkage.

Back