• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" setup fabbing

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
i'm pretty new to the whole fabbing on my own deal... i read that a 79 bronco 9" will bolt in and that the perches were only .5" off. can someone verify this? also what kinda brake lines mods to i need to make, so can get this thing bolted up? i also read that if i have a c8.25 i wont need to make any driveshaft mods when switching over to the 9"?

brandon
PS, does anyone know of a disk brake kit for these, or some parts to gather so i can put together my own?

yeah, i've seen that site... helps with the brake situation. but nothing on spring perches...well, brian did write that he had welded the perches and shock mounts, but i know i read that the spring perches were nearly the right width and didn't require moving... tell me if i'm just on crack!

the bronco and f150 9" of that vintage have 44.75 inch perch width, as far as far as u-joints & shaft dims go, Im not sure.

no brandon.. he had to chop off his perches and Kyle welded a new set back on... i was right there when he did it all.

your bronco 9" is going to be 28 spline and they're not quite wide enough, you know that right?

No the EB's are 56 or 58" wsm, but the full size 78 up are 64" wsm same as the F150's. I just narrowed mine down to the 60.5" wsm for the XJ. Running Explorer rear brakes and purchased the M.O.R.E. install kit for the 8.8, same housing diam 3.25"... Get the F150 stuff 31 spline, and have the stock shafts cut down and resplined...

formatt said:
no brandon.. he had to chop off his perches and Kyle welded a new set back on... i was right there when he did it all.

your bronco 9" is going to be 28 spline and they're not quite wide enough, you know that right?

really? i thought the 78-79 fullsize bronco had big bearing 31 spline shafts...

Just remember that the fullsize bronco shares the same drivetrain as the F150... 31 spline big bearing... The EB or early broncos used the 28 spline untill 76~77 then big bearing and 31 spline as well. Check out wildhorses4x4.com they have a wealth of info...

you're right.. i was talking about the EB stuff. i should have elaborated. :gag:

i agree with RC all the way.. go with the F150 stuff. plus, they're pretty easy to come by and fairly cheap.

prior to going with the 8.8, my plan was to have my 9" cut down and go with custom 35 spline shafts. only downside is that you'll need to have customs shafts made for spares.

formatt said:
you're right.. i was talking about the EB stuff. i should have elaborated. :gag:

i agree with RC all the way.. go with the F150 stuff. plus, they're pretty easy to come by and fairly cheap.

prior to going with the 8.8, my plan was to have my 9" cut down and go with custom 35 spline shafts. only downside is that you'll need to have customs shafts made for spares.

I got 35 spline Yukon alloys to run with my 37" mtrs. I don't think you will need spares. If you run 40's and hammer down maybe, but the 35 spline alloy shafts should hold up good. I went with 35 spline shafts over my 31 spline for this, now I have 2 set of 31 spline shafts for sale or to go with my 85' CJ7 buggy that's for sale. I don't think that the extra 4" from stock width of 60" will make that big of a deal offroad and with my 8" lift height and 37's I could use a little more width for stability. I know that full width might give me problems for JV trails, but I'll take my chances with it. Narrowing takes away a lot of the advantage and low cost of running the hp44/9" combo which is becoming more and more popular as a great strength upgrade.

Troy

sarvermr said:
and i didn't. 82 bronco 9"

mine were only about 3/8" off each side. i just bolted them up.

yeah thats what i'm talking about...bronco ones don't need to be moved, but f150 ones do!

brandon

Back