• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo diesel

W

WilliesTJ

here's a thought, dont know if its been done yet though, a 3.9 ltr cummins turbo diesel 4cyl in a XJ, w/ appropriate running gear.

I seem to recall a few people researching this swap and in the end it was decided that the extreme weight of this motor made it impractical for an XJ.

If you want a disel so bad you could always try to rig up something like some of the Suzuki Owners do and put in a VW turbo Diesel.

I was always thinking of something like a Diesel from a Mercedes or some other European car. I'm sure they are powerfull enough for the XJ and also light enough. Parts shouldn't be too bad to get, though they may be expensive. The snag I have here in WI is emission testing. I think you still need to pass testing for the year and model of your car. I don't think a diesel would pass inplace of a gas motor.

B-loose

The weight was not the killer, in my research, it was the height of that beasty. My high steer already gets into my oilpan under extreme situations, and the 3.9 block is like 7 inches taller than a 4.0.

CRASH

I have always been interested to. I do know where there is a 5cyl turbo diesel mercedes for sale, have thought about getting it to experiment. But I am shure it would be a PITA.

The bell housing and clutch interface would be the biggest PITA, but if you have access to a TIG welder, you can likely mate the engine side of the Mercedes bellhousing to the tranny side of your auto or manual trans.

There are other problems with running a diesel off-road (like throttle response), but it would be an interesting project for a non-hard core rig.......

Good luck.

CRASH

i had a 85 toyota turbo diesel 4X4 with a 5 speed it was very good offroad lots of lowend power pulled like a tractor but would eat a clutch in a heartbeat, the factory clutch was only a 7+ inch,
i wish i had it back with an auto behind it.

crash, would it work with a 6" plus lift as far as clearance is concerned?

There are some diesel XJ's here in the states. Last one I saw was like a 84-85 for sale somewhere on the net. Pretty cheap too ($800 I think).

i have thought about the m/b engine as well, even the freightliner sprinter van (mercbenz) engine also. the VW motor crossed my mind but wasn't sure if it had the power. don't know much bout the toy diesel either. i have a detriot 12.7 lt motor but think it is just a tad to big (it weighs more than my car). wife want that new kia sorento so i'll have her XJ to play with, not concerned with the emissions for it. other potential project is to put a dodge turbo diesel in my 75 FJ40.

Cummins engines are just so HEAVY. The are the best thing out there, but for offroad use it is pushing it. a 5.9 cummins weighs in at around 800lbs, they didn't really care about weight when disigning it since it was origionally made for farm tractors.
That would be another souce for hunting engines for projects. The same engine that dodge uses is in lots of CaseIH tractors, bellhousing is probly way different though. My dads hay swather has the 4cyl version in it.

Just because it is cheap and I have one in the shed, if I get around to building a buggy it will have an Oldsmobile 5.7L diesel in it.

Willis,

I have 8" of lift or so, and I still crash my high steer into my 4.0 pan.

CRASH

I was just thinking, if $ was no option or you just had some cool connections, the new diesel that will be offered in the 2004 liberty might make for an interesting swap, maybe not right now but in a year or so when a few get wrecked on the way to soccer practice, they might be a good find in some of the junk yards.

the toyota turbo diesel had 84hp and 146ft lb but only 1 year of sales in the US, 1985

Back