• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorman/Hungry Valley after the rain?

nitrogt101

NAXJA Forum User
G'day all, I have been planning on going to the Gorman/Hungry Valley OHV area on saturday the 26th for a while now, but after all this rain I'm not sure since I will be the only vehicle in my party going. Does anyone know what it is like out there right now? Any recent trips?(since the "gorman jeep role", I was there that day). Anybody else going to be there this weekend? I am hoping to leave Ventura County @ about 7:30am, and hitting the trails by 9ish.

Let me know if you know or have heard of anything! Thanks!

Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow.

It may be closed, it was the first time it snowed like this in January.

126 is closed, and looks like it will be thru the weekend. 33 is also closed.

--ron

Dang, Dang, Dang, Dang.

Maybe God will answer my prayers and melt all the snow tomorrow and friday. It is supposed to be mostly sunny tomorrow and just sunny on friday. How much snow we talking?

Stoddard? I'm not much of a crawler, only on 31's with 4.5" of lift, stock gears, limited slip in rear. The rest is all under the hood mods. The only "crawling" I've done is the cement/rock course in Gorman, and I know that is nothing.

I've never been to Stoddard though, actually, I've never heard of it. Where abouts is this? Any pictures?

Barstow.

Lots of open OHV area, similar to HV, but with some hills (up to 4000' or so) that have rocks.

--ron

PS: have you done Pronghorn in HV? Also, that hill you guys were talking about that someone rolled, have you looked on the backside where the tree root climb is? IMHO much, much more difficult than that hill.

i think i'd be up for Stoddard Valley.... pumpkin eater? or Archy Breaky? BOTH?? both can be done... but itl be a long day.... what day?

nitrogt101 said:
Stoddard? I'm not much of a crawler, only on 31's with 4.5" of lift, stock gears, limited slip in rear. The rest is all under the hood mods. The only "crawling" I've done is the cement/rock course in Gorman, and I know that is nothing.

I've never been to Stoddard though, actually, I've never heard of it. Where abouts is this? Any pictures?

Ah man, you can crawl.... (well some what anyway..) I had 31s, 4.5 lift, a l/s, and no rockrails and ran the backside of Shredder Canyon. With mininmal (sp?) scratches.... Just finesse it!

Scott

You also got to remember that this is my daily driver that I just bought with all my hard earned lawn mowing money(I'm 17, gimme a break). Body damage is not something that I am willing to put up with right now, maybe by this summer I will have some protection other that up-country skids, then I will be willing. Stoddard is a little farther than I was planning on driving this weekend, I was looking for a half day adventure. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with all ya'll this summer.

If you go, be sure to take pictures, let me see how it is out there. It might just be worth the drive for next time when I have all day.

witt said:
i think i'd be up for Stoddard Valley.... pumpkin eater? or Archy Breaky? BOTH?? both can be done... but itl be a long day.... what day?

I can only do Saturday, planned on being there by 8:00AM.

Headed straight for Pumpkin.

--ron

nitrogt101 said:
You also got to remember that this is my daily driver that I just bought with all my hard earned lawn mowing money(I'm 17, gimme a break). Body damage is not something that I am willing to put up with right now, maybe by this summer I will have some protection other that up-country skids, then I will be willing. Stoddard is a little farther than I was planning on driving this weekend, I was looking for a half day adventure. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with all ya'll this summer.

If you go, be sure to take pictures, let me see how it is out there. It might just be worth the drive for next time when I have all day.

If your 17 what are doing replying to NAXJA messages? aren't you suppose to be in class?!? :lecture: Nah just busting your ba11s, I'm suppose to be working...... :wave:

Where abouts in Ventura Co. do you live? Gorman is a good place to test your skills. There is also BC109 as it has everything from Mild - Wild, or Roher Flats in Santa Clarita area, but with all the rains the back side is probably slicker then SNOT. But when Dry is very fun....

Laters,
Scott

RisingSun said:
If your 17 what are doing replying to NAXJA messages? aren't you suppose to be in class?!? :lecture: Nah just busting your ba11s, I'm suppose to be working...... :wave:

Where abouts in Ventura Co. do you live? Gorman is a good place to test your skills. There is also BC109 as it has everything from Mild - Wild, or Roher Flats in Santa Clarita area, but with all the rains the back side is probably slicker then SNOT. But when Dry is very fun....

Laters,
Scott

yeah.. stoddard valley isnt the best place to "start" rock crawling... try Calico (Odessa Canyon) would be a better place to start.... hey.. its only 20 mins from Stoddard Valley.... and thats with running 10 psi in the tires

I'm was replying because I was sitting in drafting class bored to death on the computer. Where is BC109? Never heard of it. I am in Camarillo, BTW.

nitrogt101 said:
I'm was replying because I was sitting in drafting class bored to death on the computer. Where is BC109? Never heard of it. I am in Camarillo, BTW.

BC109 is about 10-13 miles behind Frazier Park area. Its a large washed out (dry) river bed. Here is a link with some picks of what is looks like.

Scott

http://www.c4x4.com/trails/BC109/bc109.html

nitrogt101 said:
Where is BC109? Never heard of it.

Hwy 33 to Lockwood Valley Rd, about 7 miles from the 33 junction. Only the north side is open to OHV travel.

Like he said, a riverbottom. Inaccessable right now, the riverbottom crosses Lockwood Valley Rd, and has taken it with it...

A couple of interesting side routes there :D

--ron

Back