• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ specs

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
wondering what options were available in the 88
I have a chance at one cheap but not sure its worth
it the guy knows nothin about jeeps
so I know its a auto
but engine
Renix??
Tranny ---what was the tranny that year for auto and
can it have the 242 or 231??

how is this engine as far as reliable opposed tot the HO

thanx

VegasAnthony said:
wondering what options were available in the 88
I have a chance at one cheap but not sure its worth
it the guy knows nothin about jeeps
so I know its a auto
but engine
Renix??
Tranny ---what was the tranny that year for auto and
can it have the 242 or 231??

how is this engine as far as reliable opposed tot the HO

thanx
Engine is the non-HO version of the 4.0L (Renix). Auto tranny is the same AW4 that was used in all years with the 4.0L engine. Transfer case could be 231 (Command-Trac) or 242 (Selec-Trac).

IMHO the Renix is more reliable than the HO -- it was designed by AMC rather than Chrysler. Most of Chrysler's "improvements" were intended to reduce manufacturing costs, not to make the vehicle better for you and me.

Eagle said:
Engine is the non-HO version of the 4.0L (Renix). Auto tranny is the same AW4 that was used in all years with the 4.0L engine. Transfer case could be 231 (Command-Trac) or 242 (Selec-Trac).

IMHO the Renix is more reliable than the HO -- it was designed by AMC rather than Chrysler. Most of Chrysler's "improvements" were intended to reduce manufacturing costs, not to make the vehicle better for you and me.

What Eagle says, plus:

The AW4 and whatever case it has will be 21 splines and those cases have a mechanical speedometer output.

I can't vouch for the reliability of the HO periphials, but the Renix system is super easy to troubleshoot & repair. I've had (at one time or another) 5 Renix 4.0s and 4/5 ran really good pretty much all the time.

Back