• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob w/ some 4.3 swap questions

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, just found this board and I've got some questions about doing the 4.3 vortec swap. I know there's been a bunch of posts on this already but I still have a couple of questions. Is painless the only company that makes a universal harness? I'm also trying to figure out what to do as far as the transmission. I really want to put a 5sp in (I'v been driving an auto for about two years now and I'm sick of it :D) I've got an AX5 off a 4 banger cherokee, I know there are some companies who make a kit for the wrangler with this tranny to bolt up to the vortec. Has anyone done this before on this board? If I could get an Chey 5spd though I'm sure that would be cheaper and easier, does anyone know off the top of their head what the model number would be for one that bolts up to a 96-98 V6? Thanks for any response. O, btw I the Vortec is going in a 87 Wagoneer Limited XJ that has the 4.0 and auto tranny in it right now.

I do like the 4.0 but I bought the jeep with about 195k miles and the previous owners hadn't taken care of it. Its starting to burn oil like crazy now so it probably needs an overhaul before too long. The reason I want to put in a Vortec is because I got new one dirt cheap.

well, i guess you you already have the 4.3 then go for it... personally i would just rebuild 4.0, 300k miles is not uncommon for a 4.0...but hey man, go for it.. i know there is a website somethere for people who swap in V8s so you may be able to fine some info there.... somoene should beable to fine the URL for it... Good Luck...

Realize that even if the 4.3 is free - its going to cost more (much more) to install it than to rebuild the 4.0 (or buy a used 4.0) and put that in. In the Northeast a running 4.0 -(probably buying a complete XJ) can be had for $200.
I have a 121K 89 laying in the garage that I want $125 for; but I'm in RI.

Fudd said:
Hi everyone, just found this board and I've got some questions about doing the 4.3 vortec swap. I know there's been a bunch of posts on this already but I still have a couple of questions. Is painless the only company that makes a universal harness? I'm also trying to figure out what to do as far as the transmission. I really want to put a 5sp in (I'v been driving an auto for about two years now and I'm sick of it :D) I've got an AX5 off a 4 banger cherokee, I know there are some companies who make a kit for the wrangler with this tranny to bolt up to the vortec. Has anyone done this before on this board? If I could get an Chey 5spd though I'm sure that would be cheaper and easier, does anyone know off the top of their head what the model number would be for one that bolts up to a 96-98 V6? Thanks for any response. O, btw I the Vortec is going in a 87 Wagoneer Limited XJ that has the 4.0 and auto tranny in it right now.

Try this company for your wiring harness:

http://www.howell-efi.com/

For your trans; remember that a 4.3 is the same as a small block GM bell housing pattern when trans shopping. I would think that a NV4500 would be a good (but expensive) manual for you.

Good Luck

Very easy: Put the 4.3 on ebay and buy a low mileage junkyard 4.0. In the short and long run, it will be MUCH cheaper.

YOu know..I have NEVER seen a bunch of people so DEAD SET on leaving the stock engine in a vehicle. The 4.0 is a good motor...but it's not the end of the line.

4.3 will need: motor mounts, tranny, crossmember, harness, and exhaust from an Astro van(manafold goes UP, not down to clear the steering shaft)

Really, an AMC XJ would make this swap easier...Wider engine bay, and bigger Rad.

I wouldn't think of running an AX-5 behind a 4.3L. They just aren't that strong. They were used on the 2.5L and are pretty easy to trash even there. An AX-15 is much stronger or the ultimate NV4500. I went from a stick to an auto for rock crawling. I had too much problem with breaking axles using a stick with the 4.7L stroker. Sounds like you should buy some stock in Advanced Adapters before starting the swap.

old_man said:
I wouldn't think of running an AX-5 behind a 4.3L. They just aren't that strong. They were used on the 2.5L and are pretty easy to trash even there. An AX-15 is much stronger or the ultimate NV4500. I went from a stick to an auto for rock crawling. I had too much problem with breaking axles using a stick with the 4.7L stroker. Sounds like you should buy some stock in Advanced Adapters before starting the swap.

OR, scrap the entire Jeep driveline, and replace with the donor's tranny. Get an adapter to fit/flip a 300, new driveshafts(for the differing U-joints) and a new crossmember. done.

Storydude said:
YOu know..I have NEVER seen a bunch of people so DEAD SET on leaving the stock engine in a vehicle. The 4.0 is a good motor...but it's not the end of the line.
exactly. The 4.3 should also be easier to work on since it'll be close to half the length of the 4.0. Changing the water pump or anything on the front of a 4.0 is a PITA. That extra space should be quite handy.

Ok, is it possible to swap a 4.0 in place of a 2.8l? My 86 XJ has the 2.8 and TF904, and while it runs ok, if I can find a 4.0l ( and probably tranny) for a good price I might make the swap

Tarakian said:
Ok, is it possible to swap a 4.0 in place of a 2.8l? My 86 XJ has the 2.8 and TF904, and while it runs ok, if I can find a 4.0l ( and probably tranny) for a good price I might make the swap
yes. Or you can bore it 3.4

BlackSport96 said:
exactly. The 4.3 should also be easier to work on since it'll be close to half the length of the 4.0. Changing the water pump or anything on the front of a 4.0 is a PITA. That extra space should be quite handy.

Too bad it's a trade...you gain space in the front, and lose it on the sides.

Fudd,
On your rig, the wiring and whatnot might be a bit complicated making it all work from the 4.0 to the Vortec. But it could be done.

I had the Vortec swap in my first rock rig. It was an '84 and the engine was from a '91 S-10. So was the 5sp tranny. I absolutely loved this setup. The flywheel is much bigger than the one found in the 4.0 5sp so it's easier to take off at low speeds. Pretty much everything I've read in the previous posts is right on. Advance Adaptors for the motor mounts, Painless for the wiring, Astro Van for the exhaust headers. If you use a Chevy trans, you'll need to move the trans crossmember back a few inches - not a big deal.

I'd have to agree with the majority though, the rebuilt Renix would be much cheaper and cause you less headaches in the long run. When rebuilt, the Renix is a decent engine. Not a huge difference between it and the HO engine. But you will see better torque from the Vortec engine.

I've got a write up about my swap saved somewhere, PM me and I'll send it to ya if ya want.

Tarakian:
The easiest swap to rid yourself of the 2.8 is to get a 3.4 from a 90's Camaro or Firebird. It's a direct bolt in and many of your accessories will bolt up as well. But to make it emissions friendly and keep the performance, I'd suggest getting a complete engine with the wiring and computer so you can keep it fuel injected. To finish that kind of swap, you'd need a gas tank from a late '90's XJ with the electric internal fuel pump, new exhaust with a better flowing cat than the one with the 2.8, and probably a better flowing cooling system (radiator). Your current trans should be fine behind the new power of the 3.4 unless you've got the dreaded Peugeot 5sp.

Hope this helps guys!

Well I've figured out what I'm going to do for a tranny, I was talking to my Dad about this and he mentioned he had an old diesel suburban w/ a manual transmission I could have if I wanted. So I check it out and I'm pretty sure its a NV4500 :) Its a 4sp w/ a granny gear am I right on that? That will bolt right up to the 4.3 and I plan on using the kit from AA to go from the NV4500 to the Jeep transfer case. As far as the wiring that's the one part I'm not looking forward to, but on the bright side all the computerized controls do make the Vortecs run a lot better and cleaner.

Fudd said:
Well I've figured out what I'm going to do for a tranny, I was talking to my Dad about this and he mentioned he had an old diesel suburban w/ a manual transmission I could have if I wanted. So I check it out and I'm pretty sure its a NV4500 :) Its a 4sp w/ a granny gear am I right on that? That will bolt right up to the 4.3 and I plan on using the kit from AA to go from the NV4500 to the Jeep transfer case. As far as the wiring that's the one part I'm not looking forward to, but on the bright side all the computerized controls do make the Vortecs run a lot better and cleaner.

It's most likely a SM465 4 speed. Good trans if you aren't looking for an OD.

Back