• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is My Power Window Gonna Die?

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
My driver's side window on my 2000 XJ just started making this jerking motion when I roll it down, exactly a week after I bought it. I have a 30 day warranty from the place I bought it from and I was wondering if the "regulator" or whatever else is gonna die on me soon.

I read reviews on the 99's having the regulator issue, but I thought they got that fixed after 99.

On another note, 30 warranty, not a Carmax vehicle by any means is it? (just purchased mine from them a little over a month ago, if it is, I can give you some things to expect in the first few weeks of ownership.

Probably gonna die.

Last November, my wife came home from class with the driver's window all the way down. This was in New England, mind you, it was cold, and she's from a semi-tropical country. Are you seeing where this is going?

She said she parked and went into a store, looked out and saw that she had (she thought) forgotten to close the window because it was down a couple or three inches, so she went out to close it. By the time she got to the car, the window had fallen completely down.

The regulator mechanism self destructed. Unlike the earlier years, the 2000 window regulator is not repairable. You buy the regulator and motor as a unit.

Yup, the regulator/motor in the '98-'00 seems to have the most problems - I have seen many replaced at our shop... It's unfortuantly fairly common...

Will.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I read reviews on the 99's having the regulator issue, but I thought they got that fixed after 99.

On another note, 30 warranty, not a Carmax vehicle by any means is it? (just purchased mine from them a little over a month ago, if it is, I can give you some things to expect in the first few weeks of ownership.

No, but I found it's history on Carfax. What is Carmax? Never heard of it.

Carmax is a huge auto store. They sell mainly used cars that they "seriously check", but some of their locations in the south sell new cars. I bought mine from them about 5 weeks ago, and paid the extra rather then going through a private sale, because they said they "checked" their vehicles. I got about a block away from the place and the turn signal switch went bad (keep an eye on yours, the rear hazards will come on when you use the left turn signal, and it still registers that just the left is on when you use the signal). Got that fixed, and about 3 days later I had come up with a list of stuff that needed to be repaired. Engine needed coolant, engine needed power steering fluid, tires where very square, and my transfer case had developed a leak. Ok, so no problem, I got most of that fixed. All was good for about 3 weeks. Untill right as my warranty was about to expire, the front end developed a sporadic thumping and grinding (the griding mainly in slow right turns while going over a bump) and a severe pulling to the right. Back to the shop, and I went out there while they had it up on the lift, to find my right front aftermarket (and POS) front shock was bent. So two new front shocks and i'm back on the road again. And she stayed quiet for a couple of days. Untill I hit a pothole I couldn't avoid and now the thumping, grinding, pulling and shaking are back. (their idea of giving te front end of my car an alignment was drop my air pressure in the front tires back down to 25psi).

I've come to the conclusion that the tires are bad. If I had the money I would put some on in a heart beat, but no money. As for the thumping, I still have no clue, as it could be a number of things. And for the alignment, I'm going to do it myself.

Here is their website http://www.carmax.com/

Sorry to sort of rant, but when ever people ask i give them my experiences. If they cehcked their cars a little closer, they might have happier customers.

My 2000's window has ben doing that for about two years or so now. I'm not saying it won't go bad just that mine has lasted that long doing that. I have found that if I put a little pressure on the window by pushing out on it while it rolls down it dosen't do jurk. IMHO by not jurking on the way down that it will last longer. Also when the other windows start acting up from the passenger switches. It's usualy the window lock switch that goes bad, and has to be replased all in one unit with the driver side switchs.

Eagle said:
Unlike the earlier years, the 2000 window regulator is not repairable. You buy the regulator and motor as a unit.

Unfortunately you also have to buy the regulator and motor as a unit for a '92 XJ as I found out a couple of months ago. Luckily I was able to find a good one from a junkyard XJ for my driver's door window so I decided I'd also grab the one for the passenger side from the same vehicle to keep as a spare. I paid $120 for both. The local stealership wanted $300 just for one regulator/motor unit!

How much work goes into installing a regulator/motor? I got one dead and one on its way out.

BlackSport96 said:
How much work goes into installing a regulator/motor? I got one dead and one on its way out.

It's not too bad...a couple of bolts and the entire unit will come out...I can't remember how the regulator attaches to the glass though...if it's like 90% of the other Dodge/chrysler parts out there it will just be two bolts as-well...

Usually the hardest parts are getting the glass out and away from the regulator in one peice and getting the door panel off in one piece.

Matt

If you also bought the extended warranty, talk to your local Jeep dealer about having them do any work on it, I'm not too sure if some of the mechanics at the one I bought mine at know which end of a screw driver you hit with a cat :scared: They also will insist on using reman parts to fix vehicles, they put a dieing reman PS Pump on mine instead of replacing the steering box (which the local Jeep dealer found within one day while it took 3 trips to Carmax to be told I didn't know what I was talking about and that my brakes were metal on metal) to replace a good one the truck had on it. Be carefull!!!!!

Back