• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshafts

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
i need a front driveshaft for my 89...just converted to 4wd and thats all i need

are the front shafts the same length from 87-96? or do i need to get a 87-90 shaft?

aw4 w/ np231

On the same subject...

Will a 2WD driveshaft temporarily replace a transfer case and rear shaft (95 XJ)?

I need my transfer case overhauled, and need to keep driving the XJ.

It would probably be cheaper to get a spare TC and overhaul it yourself than to have it done by someone else... 231's I've seen go for a $150-$200...

You may get lucky but most of us don't run across 2wd XJ's too often, the only time I ever see them is when we're in florida. Probably the best bet would be to measure them with a tape measure.

im NOT asking ANYTHING about a 2wd

im asking if a 4wd FRONT driveshaft on a 87-90 is the same length as a FRONT driveshaft on a 91-96

im in search of a front driveshaft for my 89 and would like to know if one form a 91-96 will fit

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26256

Driveshafts

Front Driveshaft - On 84-87 XJs (NP207 t-case) the front shaft is a "GKN" style shaft. On 87-01 XJs (NP231/242 t-case) the front is a "double cardan" two-piece driveshaft with a CV joint at the transfer case end.

Rear Driveshaft - The rear is a one-piece shaft with standard u-joints at both ends. The slip yoke is located on the output shaft of the transfer case. On 84-95 models, the yoke slides in and out of the transfer case and is lubricated by the ATF fluid internally. On 96-01 due to a design change, the slip yoke is external (does not slide in and out of the transfer case). This slip yoke is covered with a rubber boot.

Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

how about yes.will that do for ya.

what case are you using .if it was out of the year that you want to use a shaft from then i would say yes .they only used two types of front shafts and the one was only used up to 88 or 89 i think.

yeh thanks for the help

sorry if im being an ass but im begining to not even like this board anymore

come here for quick answers and ppl that know
but everyone either ignores you or treats u like your an idiot

if its such an obvious fkn answer then why did 90ppl view this and only 3 ppl post?

[/QUOTE=Wil Badger]how about yes.will that do for ya.

what case are you using .if it was out of the year that you want to use a shaft from then i would say yes .they only used two types of front shafts and the one was only used up to 88 or 89 i think.[/QUOTE]

i love ppl that fkn read... my tranny/x-case info is on the very first post

and reason im asking this is cause ive been to all the junkyards in the nearby area... dont have any 87-90 4wd xjs with the front shaft still there, so i was wondering if i could snag one from a newer model

later... ill go back to jeepforums

Last edited:
JVRacer04 said:
thanks for the post but ive already read this

still doesnt tell me if they are the same length/interchangeable

If you read it, how does it not answer your question?? :confused: There were only 2 driveshafts available. 84-87 and 87-01. Unless your swap came off an 87, that would tell you it's all interchangeble.

Not everyone who sits on the board 24/7 is a certified Jeep expert. ;)

JVRacer04 said:
sorry if im being an ass but im begining to not even like this board anymore

Untie your panties there, pardner.

The front drive shaft is the same for all AW4/231 XJ's & MJ's from '87-'01.
Length variations in front or rear shafts will come from 4cyl vs 6 cyl, automatic vs manual tranny, 231 vs 242 T-case, D35 vs D44 or 8.25 rear axle.

XJ16FW said:
Will a 2WD driveshaft temporarily replace a transfer case and rear shaft (95 XJ)?

Nope, that won't work. The output on a 2wd transmission is different from that of a 4wd transmission. Nice thread hijack, BTW.

if its useable to you i have an 87 with the vac disco d 30. i have the front axel, drive shaft, t case and rear drive shaft.

Back