• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing Questions? READ THIS!

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
If I see another thread about choosing gear ratios, I'm going to have to slit my wrists with a butter knife. In the interest of me living through the next week, please read the following:

Gearing is a subjective issue. A guy who lives in Florida may have different preferences than a guy in Arizona. Yet, there are general rules which apply, based on a lifted XJ with an overdrive transmission. In GENERAL, on a 4.0 that is in good condition, you want to keep the revs at or below 3,000 at max cruising speed. As an example, I've made very good mileage at 2,750 with 35" tires (18 mpg). Don't be afraid to spin the little 4.0, as it is an undersquare motor, i.e. a short stroke motor. If you have the unfortunate experience of owning a 4 cylinder XJ or a V-6, disregard the following and go to 4.88's for any tire size larger than 30". So general gearing guide from your friends at URF:

30', 31's: 4.10 (don't do something stupid like I did and go to 3.73. Hey, I was a freshman in college at the time.)

32's, 33's: 4.56 (If you live in the mountains, or your rig is on a trailer a lot, put your purse down and go to 4.88's)

35's: 4.88's (Only because you can't get 5.13's in a Dana 30. If you live in a state that has a SINGLE rock you may one day want to climb, ditch the 30 and step up to a 44 and 5.13's)

37's: 5.38's will do you nicely, but your still going to want deep T-case gears.

UPDATE:

What does it cost to regear an axle?

For a standard D-30/D-44 or D-30/8.25 combo, you should count on spending $500 in parts for both axles. For that money you should get: a set of high quality ring and pinions (Spicer, Precision, US gear, Richmond, Yukon's premium brand) and a master install kit that includes 4 bearings (2 carrier/2pinion), carrier shims, pinion shims, an oil slinger, oil retainer, axle tube seals (front axles), pinion seal, and new ring gear bolts. You'll also get marking compound, Loctite, and a little brush. There is some additional stuff you may want to order for your axle while you have it apart, namely, wheels bearings and outer seals for your rear axle. This usually runs about $40 a side for a non-C-clip and $30 for a C-clip axle. If you are going from 3.55's to somthing in the 4's, generally speaking, you will need a new carrier, unless you are getting a full case locker (why wouldn't you?). Expect to pay $50 for a new, open case.

Labor costs vary dramatically depending on where you live and the competance/incompetance of the installer. Generally, it is much cheaper for you to pull the axle housings out of your Jeep, clean them up a bit and take them to your local, professional installer. If you do this, you should expect to pay about $200 an axle. For axles that are under a vehicle, I would expect to pay about $100-$200 more. Axle guys (me included) despise setting up gears under a rig.

What if I do lots of highway driving?

The above gearing recommendations are given for a rig that is driven on the highway at speeds of up to 80 MPH. There is only one tire size that I could see having some confusion. A 32" tire could probably get away with running a 4.10 gear on the highway, and still feel OK offroad. I think you'd be better off with a 4.56 gear, especially if you live in a state with a single hill. If you live in a flat place, or spend a lot of time at high speed, the 4.10s would likely net you better mileage.

Last edited:
ok - in all the gearing questions - everyone has an auto -
i have a AX-15 and currently ride with 3.07 gears - compared to teh 3.55 stock in the auto

should that have any effect on the above?

XJ_ranger said:
i have a AX-15 and currently ride with 3.07 gears - compared to teh 3.55 stock in the auto

No.

XJ_ranger said:

Addendum to definitive gearing post.

Auto vs. Manual.

An XJ auto trans has a deep OD, in the low .70's (depends on vintage). An XJ manual is up in the low .80's (same caveat). Bottom line, for a given ratio, you'll spin 100-150 RPMs faster with a manual.......BUT.....you'll need that extra gear off-road, since you have no torque converter slip. So, the above holds.

CRASH

someone please make this a sticky

4.56:1 and 31" (15" static radius) killed my gas mileage. Are wheelies tax deductable and if not, does URF take full responsibility for their advice??

I want to argue:

32's and 33's are 4.88, especially with the taller OD in the early autos. Still turning below your 3K.

5.38's with 35's. Cruising to the mall is sweetness. :D

woody said:
4.56:1 and 31" (15" static radius) killed my gas mileage. Are wheelies tax deductable and if not, does URF take full responsibility for their advice??

Yes, any claims can be made to our legal department. Please contact 1-800-IGOTFUKED for a full description of the liabilities and limitations of this thread. If you are a barkeater, and don't have access to a telephone, please write to:

URF Racing
Cabin 12
Moab, Utah, 90034

CRASH

I'll be seeeing to my people gumming up an envelote towards you most rapidly then.

Thank you for your time

Goodbye

Last edited:
hey, how about doing a faq and making it a sticky? That would tend to answer a lot of the more repetitive questions...just a thought. Oh yeah, thanks for putting all the info in one place for us ;)

Could this be the first thread to be placed in the soon to be created "XJ Mod Info Dump for Noobies?" Or "Everything you wanted to know about modifying an XJ, but were afraid to do a search"..............or join NAXJA so you can view the plethora of hidden Tech Articles, which by the way, is extremely dated?

Last edited:
It may also be beneficial to mention about DD and trail rigs. The information is very good, but that's the other thing I was left wondering about.

Crash your panties must be in a huge bunch!

Your gear example maybe right for you but an argument can be made for those to be all wrong. Going up or down from your list can be done from one jeep to the next. Saying one gear is "the" gear for a tire size without taking in all the ways the jeep will or won't be used is just those panties binding on your dingle balls hanging from your rear view mirror!

Gearing questions always must be discussed per jeep/ per setup. Not all are the same. Unless you are trying to say it is the URFway or the Highway.(because we know you don't wheel!) What is URF team going to become one of the BORG?

Go have Lupine slap you!

hinkley

I think those ratios are excellent coices for a daily driver (though I'd not DD anything on 37's).

For a trail rig, there is absolutely no excuse for not going to the deepest gears possible for your diffs (that remain strong). Personally, I wouldn't run deeper than 4.56 and 33's on a Dana 30. I wouldn't run deeper than 5.38 on a Dana 44, 5.29 on a Toyota diff, all of the above for strength reasons. Run what you want on a D-60.

If you think you need deeper gears than above for a trail rig, you need a crawler box.

CRASH

DBenz said:
It may also be beneficial to mention about DD and trail rigs. The information is very good, but that's the other thing I was left wondering about.
Not really.

If it is a DD this applies.

If it is a trailer machine put in the lowest gear you can and don't look back.

r@m

Back