• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where oh where is my fuel filter at?

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ with the 4.0 HO motor. My question as the subject implies is where is the fuel filter located? If anyone has some pictures of it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys,
Jamie

If it's in the tank then I am scared to ask.... How do you go about replacing it? That little 21 gal tank doesn't have to come out does it?

Thanks,
Jamie

While I am asking I should also throw in a request for the location of the fuel pressure regulator as I want to replace it with an adjustable unit.

Thanks,
Jamie

The cartrige mount is vertical -- so the tank needs to drop (out is discretionary; drop is not -- HINT -- only on low/no gas!)

so VERY unlike true "Jeep" where maintenance is considered in design (like the pre OBDII XJs' pump could be serviced without effort, external filter and all that)

you probably won't like the rest of the fuel system either -- So, I won't go on about the pressure regulator -- HINT -- look for a "recirculating loop" type of injection rail... Tough to find,eh?

With a name like that I can understand why you are the designated bearer of bad news. The fuel system sounds like it is the blacksheep of my Jeep by the sound of things. No wonder I left it for the last thing to modify on the Jeep, I couldn't even find the darn parts to modify. Ha ha. Oh well, should be a fun summer.

Thanks,
Jamie

On your '96 I am faily sure that while you have an ODBII system your fuel filter is still external. Look up near the drivers side rear wheel well. If you look above the rear dif. and you can see a round fuel pump looking opening with fuel lines running from it in the side of the tank, then your filter is external. I know om my '96 that the filter is external.

Hey -- OK so I quick ran through the catalog -- l

Maybe not all that bad (the book here suggests "inspect" though the changes I was thinking of are for 1998...-- look for things where they should be -- Fuel pressure regulator on the loop (fuel rail on the drivers's side top of the intake mnifold -- should have a vacuum line ruining to it and be fitted to the rail)

Filter should be on the driver's side frame rail just in front of the tank... (Fram G3641/Wix 33486)

Sweet! There is a God. Thanks for all your help guys!

Jamie

Strainer

Just so you know the filter in the tank is only a strainer and shouldn't have to be changed except for major problems in your tank.

Back