• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter O-ring again

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched most of the threads on this, but there is nothing I found like my problem. I have a new crate motor with less then 7 thousand miles. I am about to install my 3rd set of o-rings in my Oil filter adapter. Has any one else went thru these at this rate and if so have you came up with a reason why ? I did find out that the block I have is actually from a 96, but everything added to it is from my era of XJ. Could that be causing the problem ? Maybe the O-rings aren't seating right or something. I coat them with oil before installing also , so they shouldn't be dry.

Last edited:
You're right in assuming that you shouldn't be going through O rings like that. My understaning is that the block should be the same for the 96 and 97...I suspect that more thank likely you're damaging the ring when reinstalling things....

When you put everything together are you pulling the center bolt out? or are you leaving it as a complete unit? I've seen guys that when pulling the center bolt out to install the smaller rings damage them when putting things back together.

Also make sure that you don't have any burrs or sharp edges anywhere near where the rings seat...

I'm not sure if it's possible but you might want to try using a grease rather than just oil when reassembling...not sure if this is possible, but I know that the stealership uses a red grease on some o rings (sorry but all I know is it's red). When I did this I didn't have any problems with just oil...maybe try a heavier weight oil that might slick things up a little better than a normal weight...I know a guy that constantly tore the smaller rings because he either wasn't using enough oil on them or the oil was too light weight...so when he bolted the adaptor back up the bolt wouldn't turn and would bind up on the o ring causing it to tear.

Matt

mdwatkins said:
You're right in assuming that you shouldn't be going through O rings like that. My understaning is that the block should be the same for the 96 and 97...I suspect that more thank likely you're damaging the ring when reinstalling things....

When you put everything together are you pulling the center bolt out? or are you leaving it as a complete unit? I've seen guys that when pulling the center bolt out to install the smaller rings damage them when putting things back together.

Also make sure that you don't have any burrs or sharp edges anywhere near where the rings seat...

I'm not sure if it's possible but you might want to try using a grease rather than just oil when reassembling...not sure if this is possible, but I know that the stealership uses a red grease on some o rings (sorry but all I know is it's red). When I did this I didn't have any problems with just oil...maybe try a heavier weight oil that might slick things up a little better than a normal weight...I know a guy that constantly tore the smaller rings because he either wasn't using enough oil on them or the oil was too light weight...so when he bolted the adaptor back up the bolt wouldn't turn and would bind up on the o ring causing it to tear.

Matt

For sure! use grease when installing the o rings! I just replaced mine on the adapter and they are working like they should. It's kinda like fuel injectors, if you don't lube the o rings up with something real thick and slick before installing, you'll have a fuel leak.

Back