• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few Tranny Qs

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Today i traveled a bit and on the road their was a few steep roads. Everything was well until i tried to keep my speed on the hill. As i pressed the gas pedal harder to try to keep up the tranny shifted into some gear (engine rev at 3k - loud) and then it drops back into a lower gear and it keeps going back and forth with difficulty keeping up. Is thier something i need to adjust or is this normal and i should have just put it in 3.

Second Question is before i put this tranny in my speedo gear was the stock 35 tooth one which reported a slower speed and after the tranny transistion i put in a 34 tooth one...is this ok..I have 235 tires.

How does one adjust the gear selector position to have it match the gear....with mine its only a bit off and when its in D their is some white showing.

thanks as always..
Pete

Here's what it says in the 95 FSM for the shift cable.

1 -put it in park
2- raise vehicle
3- release cable adjuster clamp to unlock the cable. Clamp is at transmission end of cable.
4 - unsnap cable from transimission cable bracket.
5- move transmissions shift lever fully rearward to park detent. Lever is on manual valve shaft at driver side of case.
6- verify that it's really in park by trying to rotate driveshaft.
7-snap the cable into the cable bracket.

As far as the hunting is concerned, there will usually be some combination of hill, gear and throttle that will lead to that, and if it's bothersome, just shift down to third. It might be that the torque converter is locking and unlocking. You should probably check the adjustment of the kickdown cable, though. Do that by depressing the button on the throttle-body end of the cable sheath, pushing in the sheath a little, then opening the throttle body all the way. It will pull the sheath to the proper point and lock it there.

You don't mention engine and year. But if it's a pre HO 4.0L then the throttle position sensor is adjustable. On a HO it's not adjustable and it could be bad on both. It's most likely not the transmission.

JoBo

The standard recommendation (right from the owner's manual) (auto tranny of course) is that you leave it in 3, preventing the thing from going to overdrive. If I recall correctly, the owner's manual says this keeps the tranny from 'hunting' through the gears for the right one, & at the same time actually keeps tranny temps lower.

I'm assuming these were steep hills. Otherwise, you will need to adjust the cables to your tranny or something.

Back