• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Airflow Control Problem Fixed FYI

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
I posted a few weeks ago about having no vacuum in my '87 beater for control of the heater airflow system Airlfow Control Problem

Just wanted to say thanks and detail the fix for anyone else with similar problems.

With some of your answers and after taking a good look at my 1990's set up I figured out that the spare vac lines that came in the box of spare parts, one violet, one black, with grommet were missing from the '87 and these were used replacements that never got installed. When I looked again at the '87 I determined there was obviously an isolated fire at some point in time because the vac lines at the grommet at the heater core were only charred stubs. The water valve (?) had just an elbow there; the violet line burnt off. The small black hard line from the vac resevoir was left open half way along the fender and was charred quite good spots.

With advice from the board I replaced both lines from the resevoir bottle with 5/16" ID fuel line and included accessible capped t-connections for future troubleshooting. For the water valve to firewall I kept/used the spare violet hard line. It works great now!

Since we are currently having a Chinook (the temperature has risen over 50 celcius in 24hrs) I took the opportunity to shoot some electrical parts cleaner into the Blower motor...did that ever quiet that thing down. I had previously just reconditioned the motor which had seized up about a month ago. Bring it on winter! I'm ready.

Thanks again guys.

Back