• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caravan to Moab

Andy Steiner

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
We already have our reservations at Slickrock Campground for the NAXJA Fall Fling, but never having been to Utah before, we're looking for some experienced advice. Has anybody stayed there before? Will the SoCal contingent have a group campground? Does Slickrock even have group sites?

Don't know the best route to get there and don't know how long it takes to drive there in a motorhome towing an XJ and was wondering if anybody is willing to caravan with us? We plan on leaving early Saturday morning and driving as far as St George or Cedar City Utah. I noticed there are WalMarts in both towns that we could boondock at for the night. I also noticed there are some rest areas north of Cedar City.

Hey Andy.... it will be a long haul but I'm hoping to make it to Moab in one day :) :) I will also be leaving on Sat with my trailer in tow so we might be able to caravan :) :)

Btw my plans are to leave EARLY on sat (around 6, latest 7am)

Kejtar

Andy,

Depending on the speed you drive and the hour you leave in the am you will be in St G. in 7 hours, CC in 8+ and I70 turn off in 9 hours. I use to stop in CC all the time for a night, it is a great little town. I am now trying to get to I 70 atleast now for the first night if I'm even going to stop at all. I stop if the wife and kid is with and power thru if not. 12 hours. There are several places to stop for the night from free to just a few dollars along I 70.

Best route for motorhome and Jeep: 15 to I 70 to 191.

I'm not leaving until sunday or monday.

see ya there

mark
orgs mfg

Slickrock is the official place although some camp in other camp grounds, stay in motels, or even camp on the trails. They do not to my knowledge have a group site.

For the last three years I have been driving it straight through about 13 hrs out and 11 back. ;) I will probably be heading out a week early to wander around somemore. See ya'll there.

The campground is pretty compact, so everyone is fairly close to everyone else. Plus, we'll have the central eating area reserved for the whole week, where registration will be set up, so people can hang out there in the evenings if they want. There are good showers, a laundromat, swimming pool and hot tubs at Slickrock, plus the town isn't real big so everything is close.

I'm sure some of us can hook up on the way out, as we get closer we can see who's leaving when. I'll be leaving Sunday afternoon, pulling into Slickrock midday on Monday. I know Mil always drives it in one day in his motorhome towing the XJ. There is a rest area just as you come into Cedar City, we've slept there a number of times when we leave late in the day. If you get out early Saturday morning, you shouldn't have a problem driving it in a day.

Handlebars said:
Wanna do White Rim Trail on Saturday or Sunday? :)

Alex, I was hoping to get a volunteer to lead a non-official trip on White Rim that first weekend, either Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon.......to give folks an option of what to do if they'll be there early. Some will travel a long way and it would be nice to have a couple of things ready for them. If you would, think about it and let me know.

It's that 100-mile loop around the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park. We could camp partway around, you need a permit to camp and they only allow 3 vehicles per permit. Shafer Trail is one access point for the trail and it is open. I just did it a couple of weeks ago. I drove a short stretch of White
Rim to get to Musselman Arch, this gives you an idea of the scenery to be found there:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice Pictures

That is incredible scenery. What day is this run? I am not sure if I am able to go or not or for how long, but would love to do this Run.

Handlebars said:
It's that 100-mile loop around the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park. We could camp partway around, you need a permit to camp and they only allow 3 vehicles per permit. Shafer Trail is one access point for the trail and it is open. I just did it a couple of weeks ago.

Last time I ran Shafer was in 2000. We had stopped to see Musselman Arch also. Here are a couple of shots from Dead Horse Point (date on photos is wrong).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Re: Nice Pictures

Xjman1 said:
That is incredible scenery. What day is this run? I am not sure if I am able to go or not or for how long, but would love to do this Run.

It has never been a planned run. Some of us choose to do other things on some days or spend more time before/after the event to explore.

I'm hoping that Helen and I will be leaving on Friday the 3 and layinmg over in LV for that night and arriving at Slikrock campground on Saturday.

We could be up for something on Sunday. How much hardware is required for what you're talking?

bburge
93XJ 4L 4x4 4" lift, rails, skids 31" XTerrains - will probably have 4.10 and rear NoSlip by then

Mostly it is scenic stuff as there will be plenty of other trails to run during the event. Mildly modified should have no problems. Tow hooks, strap, High Lift, full size spare, etc... If someone does a camp over on the trail run then stuff for that.

If all works out I should be arriving Sunday evening.... Might call in sick and try to arrive Saturday evening.
Looking forward to seeing all the friends that I have made during the past NAXJA events.
See you there in 104 days.

Back