• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header and driveshaft clearance?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new header for my 96. It has a nice crack in the stock manifold that almost goes all the way around one of the tubes. I am wondering about driveshaft clearance issues with an aftermarket header. I did some searching and it seems that there is some clearance issues with the Borla, especially since it uses a new intermediate pipe. I didn't really find anything about clearance on the Banks one but do I have to worry? Shouldn't the fact it uses the factory intermediate pipe negate any possible clearance issues? I am currently debating between Borla and Banks.

BTW- this is for a 96 H.O. AW4.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike L said:
I need a new header for my 96. It has a nice crack in the stock manifold that almost goes all the way around one of the tubes. I am wondering about driveshaft clearance issues with an aftermarket header. I did some searching and it seems that there is some clearance issues with the Borla, especially since it uses a new intermediate pipe. I didn't really find anything about clearance on the Banks one but do I have to worry? Shouldn't the fact it uses the factory intermediate pipe negate any possible clearance issues? I am currently debating between Borla and Banks.

BTW- this is for a 96 H.O. AW4.

Thanks,
Mike
bumpstops will help you out... if there are any real problems...

I have the banks torque tube header. No clearance issues with the driveshaft at all. Also, with a TBS, you get really good air flow through the engine and noticeable hp gains. That header is bulletproof, too. I'd recommend wrapping some heat tape around the header before you install it. I didn't do it on mine, and the header lets off a lot of heat in the engine compartment.

Mike, I have a Borla on my 96. No clearance problems. If you want to take a look at it, let me know.

Planetcat said:
I'd recommend wrapping some heat tape around the header before you install it. I didn't do it on mine, and the header lets off a lot of heat in the engine compartment.

I didn't put heat tape on mine Banks header either. Thought about doing it, but if I remember correctly, it says not too in the instructions, no heat tape. Does anybody have anyidea why, they tell you not too?

Back