• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back-up lights wont work!

Stern

NAXJA Forum User
my back up lights on my 1992 Cherokee with an automatic tranny have been acting up some time. if i jiggled the handle the lights would eventually come on. the bulbs are fine and the only thing i can think of is a switch might be bad somewhere? any ideas on what could be causing this? i have to get the Jeep inspected tomorrow and I need to fix her fast! thanks for the help!

Mine do that. But it is a burnt wire on mine! The switch or wire is broken probalby!

I would bet money that it is your Neutral Safety Switch that has gone bad. It is an expensive part from the dealer, but one that can be repaired in your driveway in a couple of hours. It most likely just needs cleaning. Here is a good writup on it. http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

If you have a manual tranny check the wires the tranny as well.
It happened to me once and I found the conector on the wire coming from the reverse sensor in the tranny had melted.

Scott Mac. said:
If you have a manual tranny check the wires the tranny as well.
It happened to me once and I found the conector on the wire coming from the reverse sensor in the tranny had melted.

Sorry I should have paid more attention to your post.
I have no idea how the automatics work the reverse lights.

Yes most likely your NSS.The writeup from Jason on Jeepin.com is awsome. Although, mine did the same thing, and after cleaning my switch twice, they still don't work. I've got a cracked drivers taillight so I'll just tell the cops that I gotta change it if I ever get pulled over. But there is an aftermarket set coming soon in the rear bumper or on the roof.

Back