• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Before I begin further investigation . . .

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
My wife's '91 has a right front passenger compartment water leak that is intermittent. It will leak for several days and then go away for awhile. It doesn't seem to matter whether the heater or a/c is on or not. We are not loosing coolant, the a/c seems to work fine and the water is not coolant-colored nor does it have a coolant odor . . . . 'just seems like clean, clear water. 'Also, it doesn't need to be or have been raining for this to happen. . . . . . it is posessed? 'Any other ideas? I have to admit I really have not yet gotten into trying to locate the source and thought that you guys might have some experience/ideas before I do start investigating. TIA! Don

If you can tie it to when the a/c is running or shortly thereafter, I'd say the a/c condensate drain is clogged. Hasn't happed to my XJ (yet) but it happened with my old full-size Cherokee.

I just had this problem. The drain line for the AC has a rubber pinch valve on the end of the plastic drain pipe. The rubber had softened with age and stuck together. When I clipped a little rubber off the end of the drain line, multiple gallons of clear water dumped out. It was a hot day-felt good. No more water in the passenger compartment. Before this I though it was the antenna mount, but noticed I got water when it wasn't raining.

Thanks to XJTripp & Eagle! I take it I'll find that line up under the dash on the passenger side? Or, is it in the engine compartment and just causes an overflow in the passenger compartment? Thanks again! Don

It's in the engine compartment - comes out of the firewall below the heater hoses. Sometimes it gets choked up with dust and crap and just needs to be pinched to clear everything out.

Thanks! I'll go take a look in a little while. Don

'Just wanted to close-out this thread with a report and a thanks to you "gents."

I believe we've got it fixed. It was a very serious blockage in that tube. I had some definite trouble locating the tube until I noticed a large tube that, from topside, looked like it ran into the bottom of the charcoal canister . . . . 'that made no sence and I investigated from below and there is was. Ran a screwdriver up there and nothing! 'Removed the tube and found a serious plug of decaying pine needles and who-knows-what-other-gunk in there . . . 'plugged solid and even somewhat of a challenge to get it all out. I'm guessing this stuff was carried in there be ants or a spider making a nest, although I saw no "critter" evidence. This stuff did not "just get there" (and, that far up the tube) by itself. Thanks again! Don

Back