• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice for maintenancing a submerged motor

chad

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy sank the front of his tj in a creek. He shut it off right away, but now it doesn't want to turn over. I'm very comfortable doing the work, even pulling the head if needed, but I'd like some advice on all the things that should be checked/changed from those who have been through it.
I'm sure the motor is full of water. So...oil, filter, diff oil, tranny oil, tcase oil, etc. Any tips on the procedures so we can get it back up and running will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Chad

Trail procedure:

Pull all of the spark plugs and then turn it over till there is no more water coming out.

Then put them back in and see if it fires.

Assuming your back at home:
Same as above except you might want to change all the appropriate fluids before you try to make it fire. You need to get all the water out of the cylinders first, ASAP!!

Make sure the distributor is clean and dry. Other than that you should be good to go and should not be hard to get running. Change the fluids again soon to make sure all the moisture is out.

Michael

If you pull the spark plugs out, you can get most of the water out of the cylinders. Chances are that the intake manifold would be full of water too.
You could suck it out with a small hand pump first, so you don't have to suck it all through the engine. You can turn the engine over manually by turning the bolt on the harmonic balancer. It should normally turn clockwise.
Also changing the oil before you even run the engine will be ideal.
Hopefully the water was not too dirty. Mud in the engine quickly increases the bearing wear....
WD-40 will help displace water that ended up in the distributor cap.
Once the engine runs, the heat will cook out drops of remaining water, then you might want to do a 2nd oil change before driving it too much.
Then hope you were lucky and that the engine doesn't start knocking after a couple hundred miles....

pull the plugs and fill the cylinders(through the spark plug holes) with auto tranny fluid. When it was submerged the water "washed" the oil coating off the cylinder bores. By filling with tranny fluid, then cranking it, then replacing the plugs, you will have put the oil coating back on the cylinders and you will have compression and not be grinding the rings against the cylinder walls with no lubricant. I did the same thing several years ago, this got it going for another 6 or 8 months....lost power after awhile and it was STROKER time....

When I submerged my TJ and hydrolocked it we pulled the plugs immediately and pulled the air intake off to get into the manifold, used dry rags to dry it out, turned the motor over (watch it, water will jet out) and cleared the cylinders. Then had it towed home, replaced the motor fluid about 5 times, cycling the motor about 30 seconds or more each time more time each time(bought the cheapest oil I could for this) till it drained clean without any water. I checked the tranny fluid and it was clear so I didn't change it out.......... 3 weeks later I replaced my tranny. Change all the fluids, including the diffs, and you should be fine. BTW, my motor ran well enough besides needing to replace the bearings in some of the pullies for another year and probably is still running now.

OK,
Thanks for all the advice.
We got all the water out, luckily the air filter stoped all the dirt, but now the check engine light is on.
I scanned it and it's throwing codes:
P0505 - Idle control system malfunction
P0121 - TPS switch A range/performance problem
P0123 - TPS switch A circut high input

Obviously it needs TPS needs to be replaced, but what is the P0505 referring to? The idle is going up and down a lot. Also, it doesn't seem to be shifting as smoothly (5 speed).
Thanks,
Chad

Back