• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I-6 swap

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 cherokee and I want to swap A 6 cyl. auto and the t-case. I was wondering if the drivetrain from a grand cherokee would work. Would it be possible to put that quadra-trac system in? Or is it even any good to swap in vs a 231, or the 241.

triple 4 said:
I have an 85 cherokee and I want to swap A 6 cyl. auto and the t-case. I was wondering if the drivetrain from a grand cherokee would work. Would it be possible to put that quadra-trac system in? Or is it even any good to swap in vs a 231, or the 241.

85? I think you will have some issues inside the engine bay, as in not enough room. The earlier XJ's had less room there and I think that you will have to modify the firewall in order to fit an I6 in there.

I think 85 had the 2.8L GM V6, the engine compartment is too small like Kejtar says. You coud do a 3.4L GM V6 though, that pretty much goes right in cept for the flex plate flywheel thing...

no the the question is, will the quadra-trac system be good, or should i not even bother with that system. I am perpared for the mod. to the engine bay, well the hole jeep is going under the knife. thanks again. Holden

Back