• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Motor for My Baby

Colin W.

NAXJA Forum User
After lurking around the site for a few years trying to learn all I can about Cherokees, I finally have a real question.My 93 has about 187k on the 4.0 ho. Judging from the posts here I'm just breaking it in. I haven't had to do anything major to it except when the oil pump and radiator went a couple of monthes ago.

Should I be worried about taking this on long trips? Next year I'll be commuting back and forth to the University of Illinois and this summer I plan on taking it on the annual fishing trip to Canada. Is a new engine worth it, or do I just see how far this one will go? It would suck to be stranded somewhere, but the price of a rebuilt engine is really high for one of three kids in a single-parent family. The mechanic I use only installs Jasper engines, which I checked to be $2060, without shipping. He says about 800 for labor, which I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm just looking for some suggestions here, and after doing a search and finding that people can get their engine rebuilt and installed for 1700, what I would be paying seems pretty high.
Thanks a lot,
Colin W.

If you have taken care of it, it will last you. I wouldn't worry about traveling long distances with it. but a new engine is nice too.. :D

How's the oil pressure, compression, etc.? Unless it's burning oil, rattling like a diesel, or coughing, you're probably in pretty good shape.

If you've got an auto, make sure the fluid is clean. Any question, just flush&fill.

Oil pump & radiator both have been changed? Did you take a quick look at any of the bearings while you had the oil pan down?

$800 for a pull & replace on an engine isn't that bad. If I had a fully assembled engine, ready to go, with help, I could probably do it in a day, but it'd be a pretty good day's work. Fishing a 4.0l/trans into the engine compartment is kind of fun, like threading a needle with a bulldozer. If I do this again, I am DEFINITELY getting a load balancer for the hook.

I did a lower engine rebuild on mine a couple of weeks, but that was because I had it out (long story.....) If I hadn't planned on pulling the engine out (196,000 miles) I wouldn't have even considered it. As it was, I did journal bearings, rod bearings, oil pump & screen, timing chain and sprockets, rear main seal, front crank seal and pan gasket. A couple of the rod bearing were starting to show distinct score marks, but all of the new bearings Plastigaged to what D/C said they should.

So, unless it's showing mechanical distress, just do the basic maintenance, and keep running it.

I have an '88 that's currently at 235,000+ miles and the valve cover has never been off the engine. The rear main seal was replaced a couple or three years ago, but that's normal maintenance and would not leave you stranded somewhere. I did replace the timing chain because I was worried about the mileage, but when the old one came out it was just as tight as the new one.

If it isn't making strange noises, isn't overheating, and has decent oil pressure, keep driving it and save that college money.

Back