• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I drop my t-case with a drive shaft still on, help asap

Well today I started to drop my t-case to put a new in. I go out my rear drive shaft, cross member and the front drive shaft almost all the way out. all the screws are out except one that is attached to drive shaft. Its striped out, I tryed to use the grinder but it is to cold for the air to work. I have 4 out of 6 bolts out of the t-case. My qestion is can I drop my t-case with the drive shaft still attached to it,the drive shaft is not attached to the jeep. Thanks and if you want to help I would be happy to buy you a good dinner or some beer, for those of you brave enough to drink it outside in the cold.

Yea you really don't need to worry about the driveshafts at all. Just put a jack underneath the crossmember, unscrew all 4 bolts from it, then slowly lower the jack, until you can fit in the spacers, then rescrew the bolts that came with the kit. It's a pretty quick thing to do if you've got more than one person, but it's not necessarily hard to do. Good luck

I droped mine a 1/2 inch...I have a 97 XJ and it had one bolt and one threaded stud on each side...Not sure if all the years used a bolt and threaded stud on unibody rail...This is the process I used to install the drop T-case...The night before soak the whole thing on both sides where it's mounted with BP Blaster...When using anykind of spay to losen things up place a puppy taining disposable mat underneith and it's soak up all the mess and not get any on floor and just throw away...Place a jack under cross memeber...Removed bolt and nut on the treaded stud and lower T-case as far as it will go...Now Take 2 nuts with same threads and but them on the stud and tight'en them together very tightly and take a propane torch and heat the area around the stud till it turns red and then unscrew the stud out...Sounds easy but it's a B***H...Has to be done real fast before it cools...Or you have to do it again...It can be done...Good luck...

If the front shaft is still attached to the t-case, your just going to have to drag the whole front shaft over the crossmember backwards, if you take out the crossmember(which you don't have to) it would drop right down and wouldn't be a problem.

Blackbeast said:
Well today I started to drop my t-case to put a new in. I go out my rear drive shaft, cross member and the front drive shaft almost all the way out. all the screws are out except one that is attached to drive shaft. Its striped out, I tryed to use the grinder but it is to cold for the air to work. I have 4 out of 6 bolts out of the t-case. My qestion is can I drop my t-case with the drive shaft still attached to it,the drive shaft is not attached to the jeep. Thanks and if you want to help I would be happy to buy you a good dinner or some beer, for those of you brave enough to drink it outside in the cold.

Im taking out the t-case to replace it with a new one not install a kit. I blew the surrent one out. Anyway I took off the cross member and rear drive shaft and detached the front drive shaft from the jeep. Just havbe 2 more t-case bolts and the linkage left.

Back