• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I HATE plastic!!!

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
just found out that my 4 popper valve cover is cracked and PLASTIC :smsoap:
I searched through 7 different yards and found 17 jeeps(MJ,XJ,TJ,etc) with the 2.5 in them and EVERY SINGLE ONE was MISSING THE VALVE COVER!
Because of this discovery I have decided to go with an iron one but I can't find any. Am I just looking in the wrong places, or can I fab one up out of a 4.0HO valve cover(I believe they're iron)?
All help is apriciated.

Aluminum not iron:wierd: The early 2.5L's such as the 84 & 85 have the aluminum ones that I know of. Maybe even later. At most yards, if they pull the valve cover, they throw it in the back. Make sure to look around. Lots of Luck

There is a good chance I may have one out of a 85. I can check in the morning, and get back to you.

Geepfreak said:
There is a good chance I may have one out of a 85. I can check in the morning, and get back to you.

If not, I will check in the am. I think I have an 85 fourbanger cover. I can't remember if its plastic or not, though.

old_man said:
Aluminum not iron:wierd: The early 2.5L's such as the 84 & 85 have the aluminum ones that I know of. Maybe even later. At most yards, if they pull the valve cover, they throw it in the back. Make sure to look around. Lots of Luck

Thats just the thing, on all the rigs(accept the thast 3 or so 'cause I was in a hurry) I looked in around and through the piles of crap in the back, and still no valve cover. I found other jewels that I can use, so the trips were not a total waste, but still, I need a valve cover.

Does anyone know if the 4.0 ever had a steel valve cover? If it did, I could make one for the 2.5 out of it since I can't find one.
Thanks for the input

One of my daughters boyfriends had an MJ with a 2.5L, he replaced it with a cast one that he got from junkyard. Don't know what it came out of though, eagle maybe or dodge pickup maybe...kinda nice, finned...

RichP said:
One of my daughters boyfriends had an MJ with a 2.5L, he replaced it with a cast one that he got from junkyard. Don't know what it came out of though, eagle maybe or dodge pickup maybe...kinda nice, finned...
well my cousin's aunt's neighbor's uncle's brother..... has a plastic one -sorry Rich :D

So what cars do I look through?
I know that these came with the 2.5:
XJ
MJ
TJ
Eagle
Premier
But what others came with the 2.5 as an option?
Dakota?
Gremlin?
YJ?
ZJ?
All help is apriciated

YJs had a 2.5, Dakotas had one but it was dodge designed and I believe the valve cover is different, but you may be able to make it work. Caravans had them and omnis, you might be able to make one of these work.

84-86 2.5 were all plastic. You cannot get a alumn. or steel one for them. I looked forever and Leon Rosser was suppost to have them made by Clifford but they would never find them. Just bought one from Jeep, worked fine.

jeepguy97 said:
YJs had a 2.5, Dakotas had one but it was dodge designed and I believe the valve cover is different, but you may be able to make it work. Caravans had them and omnis, you might be able to make one of these work.
Actually late model Dakotas did use the AMC 2.5. I'm not sure what year they switched from the Chrysler 2.5 though. It was the MPI version of the 2.5 though, not sure what the vavle cover is. If you see a newer dak with a fender badge that just says "magnum", not v6 or v8 then it has the AMC 4 banger. The chrysler 4 wasn't called a magnum.

That's wierd. My 85 had an aluminum valve cover. I powder coated it. Maybe it wasn't original, but thats what it had. My 88 4.0L from a donor also had an aluminum valve cover.

jeepguy97 said:
Didn't clue into this last night, but there is zero chance of the chrysler 2.5 cover fitting, it's a SOHC engine. Still haven't found what year the Dakota switched to the AMC engine but I know they used them up till the last 4cyl models. (not sure when they ended either but a friend had a '97 with one).

Also my old '88 MJ had an aluminum cover, but it could've been a swap. I just checkd the '87 and '88 in the yard and both are plastic. I still have 2 at the shop to check but I'm guessing they're plastic too.

I just checked, the one I have out of an 85, 2.5 Plastic.. Sorry.

brokexj said:
If not, I will check in the am. I think I have an 85 fourbanger cover. I can't remember if its plastic or not, though.

Sorry, plastic. I will be going to the yard this week, if I find one...I'll let you know.

Back