• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44's front and rear

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
Still looking for mods on the cheap,
I have two FRONT full size D44's, one Chevy, one Ford, and since they both have 4.10's and clutch style ("posi")'s, I was wondering how difficult it would be to have a steering D44 in rear(with steering immobilized of course). Is a Front D44 strong enough to be put in rear? Normaly I would just find a Cherokee D44, but they didn't come in 5 on 5" bolt patterns and I cant afford one besides.
Thanks in advance.

No it won't be as strong a rear D44 because you will have the axle u-joints in there. Also how would you get around the fact that the pumpkin is off-center. Sell the front D44 and buy something else for the rear. There are many rear axles that have 5on5 pattern that would work. Ford 9" for example. Or you could use the Chevy outers and go to a 6 bolt pattern and use a Waggy D44 rear or a Toyota rear. There are many less complicated options.

The off center diff is easy to get around, but the U-joints are another story...
Did the 8.8 ever come in a 5 on 5" pattern? Or did the D44 ever come up front with 5 on 4.5"?

Rubicons have front Dana 44s with 5 on 4.5

Wouldn't the R/P rotation be on the coast side if you ran a front Axle in the rear?

Wren't there some D60's from full sized vans that ran the 5 on 5 bolt pattern?

Sell both fronts and buy a 44 rear. Why do you need a 44 front? Building a 44 front isn't cheap, and getting a XJ 44 isn't too difficult. There's probably 3 or 4 on ebay right now.

Then again, I'd like to see a 44 front put in the back of a rig. It would be a good laugh...

crazyoffroader said:
Still looking for mods on the cheap

crazyoffroader said:
The off center diff is easy to get around, but the U-joints are another story...

This makes no sense to me.........

If you can't afford to put a normal axle in the back, i'm not sure how your gonna fund putting a 44 up front. My advice, keep the ford 44 (assuming it's Hp) for a later date. Sell the chevy 44 and just throw a XJ 44 in the back.

But if you are set on doing something. Here are a few options for the rear.

Your front can be converted to 5, 6, and 8 lug easy enough.

FF D60 8 Lug
ZuZu D44 6 lug
Waggy D44 6 lug
Toy 8" 6 lug
SF D60 5 lug
Ford 9" 5 lug

Back