• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Column shift on a 94' XJ ????

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I saw a 94' XJ this weekend with the shift lever on the column (automatic) and the TC shifter on the floor and also a buttom under the dash guages that said "Extended Idle". Was the column shift an option? What's an "Extended Idle" button do??? I've never seen this combo...

Yeh, its for sale. It's on a used car lot. He only whats a couple hundred for it. It was a Sport model 4-door with rubber flooring and skids up front and back and tow package but no Dana 44 rear. It wasn't half bad.

Whats "loitering on scene" mean and what does the buttom actually do? Cut the RPM's down to 500 or something? I dont' know...

"Loitering on Scene" = hanging around and finishing up. It's pretty much what you see with any emergency vehicle that's stopped and working on something with the engine running - and the switch increases the idle to 1000-1200 or so (as mentioned) to keep the alternator putting out current, since it really does very little at idle speed. It can also keep other accessories off an running - say, a hydraulic power unit from the PS pump or somesuch.

It's really too bad it's way out there, I've been wanting a PD-spec for a bit now, since it's got a couple things that are really handy for me and that I just don't feel like duplicating (read: "My wife doesn't mind my XJ collection!")

Gawd, California sucks...

5-90

Back