• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Colum

J-MAKSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have removed my steering wheel to try and replace my winshield wiper, indacator switch as my broke off. I recieved a used module and lever. How do I remove the colum cover to access this part, it seems to be one solid unit, do I need to remove the ignition piece if so how?. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Jim

I'm assuming here you have a pre-95 with a Saginaw column. You don't need to remove the outer shell of the column to do this job, and shouldn't have to touch the ignition switch either. I'm condensing here from the '95 manual for the YJ, which uses the same design.

Once the wheel is off, you need first to remove the lockplate (that circular plate with notches in the edges, which the shaft passes through. There's a snap ring on the shaft. You're supposed to use a special tool to press the lockplate down, so you can get at the snap ring. You can probably fake this, but you might also be able to rent the tool somewhere. The shaft will now be loose in the column, so be careful. Take off the Lockplate, and keep track of the bits behind it - there will be a canceling cam for the signals, a spring, and a couple of washers. Lay them out carefully and take notes if you have to. Now you'll see the retaining screw or screws for the signal switch facing you in the now open end of the column. The FSM is not entirely clear about whether you will need to remove the switch stalk, but it looks as if you will. I've done that in the past, but don't remember how it comes apart. You'll have to study that on your replacement. You'll also have to disconnect the actuator rod from the lever to the actual electrical dimmer switch which is located down the column before you attempt to pull the lever assembly out. Tape the electrical connector to the cable sheath, so that it's pointed the same direction as the cable, and you can fish it up through the column jacket.

Back