• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D35 on my XJ?

jma

NAXJA Forum User
Can i swap in a D35 from a TJ in my XJ without modifications?
I can buy a D35 with ARB and 4.88, and that would be great to use as my C8.25 cant have 4.88.

The D35 isn't worth the time and effort of even installing an ARB and 4.88s.

Its a weak axle, weak housing, and I wouldn't trust it locked w/ 31s....

Don't waste your money, find an XJ D44, then gear and lock it.

The problem is; there is very very few D44 XJ`s in Norway. And 4.56 in a C8.25 with 33"s and 2.5 liter isnt to good they say.
But ok, Ford 8.8 then....?

I don't know of availabilty by you, but a later model 96'+ 8.25 will have 29 splines and is around the strength of a dana 44. A ford 8.8 95'+ will have disc brakes and big 31 spline axles shafts. The ford 8.8 should be fairly easy to find because there were so many made and the Exploder sold so good in the U.S. How available are U.S. vehicle in Norway?
Troy

My C8.25 is a 29 spline, 98 mod. And i know its a good axle, but the problem is that i cant have 4.88 in it.
There is plenty of US cars in Norway, but most XJ`s have D35 or C8.25.
And there are lots of Explorers too, so a 8.8 should not be a problem to find.
How about MJ`s, do they have D44? I know of a couple of MJ`s..

Yes, some MJs have 44s. But they need new perches to work in the XJ.

How cheap would you be able to get the 35 for?

Seller want 1900$ for it, maybe i can deal for a lower price. 60.000km on axle, and 15.000km with ARB installed.
The problem is that TJ have coilsprings, and XJ leafsprings, but i guess its possible to convert it.

$1900 in US, the price is 12.000nok. Its a lot of money - yes!

I can get an 8.8 for about $450, so i guess youre right nhrocker.
You can probably get it for less than that "over there", but i still live in Norway ;)

nah, $450 isn't far off what you would pay for an 8.8 here. It'll be easier to put the 8.8 in an XJ because you only have to grind off 4 things, whereas it would be a huge PITA to grind off the old TJ brackets. Get an 8.8, you won't be sorry.

oi! Def dont get the 35 for that much!

Back