• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Towin a CJ

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
hey,
so ive poked around and looked ar stuff. here is my question:
I have a 4.0L with stock diff and t case gears and an ax-15. the rated towing capacity is 3500 (as posted here:
Georgia Mike said:
Every Jeep vehicle I've ever owned and wheeled has had a manual tranny,until my current XJ. I'll never go back to a manual again. FWIW,the AW-4 is a stronger tranny than an AX-15 will ever be. Straight from the factory the manual had a 1500 pound disadvantage in towing capacity(5,000 lb. for the auto vs. 3,500 lb. for the manual). If you're gonna go with a manual,don't backstep in quality,get something at least as strong as the AW-4. YMMV:D
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15485&highlight=towing+capacity+ax-15)

and i have a draw tite reciever in the rear rated at: 5,500 lbs.

I have an oppurtunity to puchase an old CJ-5, but am wondering if i can flat tow it from where it rests in Kansas City, MO to my home in Lincoln, NE (about 4 hour drive if i dont stop to buy fireworks) with the drive shafts disconected and the hubs unlocked?

The GVW on a CJ-5 is ~4,000 (info from:http://www.off-road.com/jeep/early/rounded.html)

what about rolling resistance and all that? or do i just need to worry about weight?

What about towing it home to CA during winter break?

anyone have any expierence?

this would be towed with a towbar and reciever hitch....

Cliff Notes: Can i flat tow a CJ-5 with stock axles and a stock AX-15?

First, I think you should find the owners manual for your XJ, because I believe with the AX-15 your towing capacity is 2000 pounds, not 3500.

However, that limit is mostly because of the clutch. Lawn Cher has towed Comanches and his trail XJ around behind his 5-speed MJ (not at the same time). I towed an XJ on a dual-axle trailer behind my Comanche. Dunno how Lawn Cher feels about it. My biggest problem was brakes ... more specifically, lack thereof. The trailer was borrowed and the wiring for the trailer brakes didn't mate up to my truck. Wouldn't have been as bad on more or less flat roads, but I was towing over the mountains in Massachusetts.

I think you're okay for the 4-hour haul. I'd recommend looking for an alternate solution for the long pull back to California.

i've been wondering the same thing, and how it would affect my 99 in the long ardous trip from WA to TX, or if i should even attempt it. i may just do the road trip home and bring back my lift kit and toolbox, i dunno. any more input would be pretty useful.

i dont see it being a problem. i tow a 17' center console (i know not as heavy as a cj) with my jeep (aw4) up some big hills and the boat ramps and dont have any problems. yeah the breaking sucks, but just plan ahead and dont tail gate etc... i mean i towed a 7500 gvw dump trailer with 10 squares of roof shingles with my old ZR2. haha it was on the bumpstops every bump and i wouldnt do it again, but the one ton was ata nother job. but yeah i dont think you will have a problem. btw are u using a tow bar?
chris

CLb33fyXJ said:
are u using a tow bar?
chris
i would be.

so your saying you towed a 7,500 + 2,500 load with a mid size suv? yikes...

Back