• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear xj 44 yolk/ubolt ques.

frsno jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Im ready to swap my original yolk to the one that accepts ubolts instead of straps,and if possible, upgrade ujoints at the same time.
Ive read somewhere that this was possible, but im not sure where and i cannot seem to find it aagain.Can i go to a 1330 or a 1310 ujoint from what i currently have?(whatever O.E. 44's have)
Im not really interested in drilling my existing yolk out to fit ubolts in.
Anyone do this before?

absolutely, i'm just saying there's nothing wrong with that particular joint.

go to Pick N Pull and look for Waggys and Chevy trucks with D44 fronts, you should be able to find a u-bolt yoke. Or if you want new, just call Jesse at High Angle Driveline, he'll no exactly what to send you.

There are good and bad points about the Ubolts. Ubolts are stronger. That tends to mean that if you are going to break in that region, you break the yoke, not the bolts or strap. It is a lot easier to replace the strap.

The biggest reason for the straps breaking is that the straps are not designed for repeated usage. In fact the FSM states that you should replace the straps and not reuse them. That is a bit extreme, but after taking them on and off a few times, they stretch. That stretch allows for a bit of play in holding the Ujoint caps, which allows for increased stresses and fracture.

While you can drill out the existing yoke to take the U bolts, the yokes designed for U bolts tend to have a bit more metal and are thus stronger.

Like everything in life, there are tradeoffs going either direction.

old_man said:
While you can drill out the existing yoke to take the U bolts, the yokes designed for U bolts tend to have a bit more metal and are thus stronger.
Got a part number or source for that yoke, Tom?

Drive train direct or randys have the u-bolt yokes to fit 1310 or 1330 u-joints. The wranglers use a 1310 X 1330 u-joint so its a bolt-in to a XJ driveshaft - probably no stronger than a 1310 but easily available.

rsalemi said:
Drive train direct or randys have the u-bolt yokes to fit 1310 or 1330 u-joints. The wranglers use a 1310 X 1330 u-joint so its a bolt-in to a XJ driveshaft - probably no stronger than a 1310 but easily available.
Just to make sure, Both the 1310 and the 1330 ujoints will fit in the same driveshaft?

Back