• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what cam to run

honda12

NAXJA Forum User
my block is at the machine shop and now is the time to get a cam what do you recomend its a daily driver so MPG is a big isue. with 200K on it i got 14MPG at best with 3" lift and 31's and 3.55 gears. do you think stock is the best way to go for MPG?

a 35 dollar throttle body spacer netted me a 1mpg increase with that tire/gear combo. Stock cams are usually the most mileage friendly, as that is a big concern for the manufacturers.

Thats the set up I run on my rig RIGHT NOW with an AX-15 and I get 19-21 depending on whats going on. There's must be some other factors other than 200k for the decrease in milage.

Surprisingly enough, I would call Crane and the other manufacturer's and ask the question. While an RV cam will give you more low end torque, My experience isn't that it helps mileage. If anything I've seen the opposite.

Anybody else have any experience. A cam isn't a cheap swap. Gears might be a viable alternative.

old_man said:
Surprisingly enough, I would call Crane and the other manufacturer's and ask the question. While an RV cam will give you more low end torque, My experience isn't that it helps mileage. If anything I've seen the opposite.

Anybody else have any experience. A cam isn't a cheap swap. Gears might be a viable alternative.

He alreatty has the motor out and is in the process of a rebuild. A new cam is a no brainer!

I had an RV cam in my 4.0L and I liked it. With my right foot and 32s with 4.10s and a manual tranny, I got about 15-16mpg in the city and then 19mpg on the interstate if I kept it under 70mph. Crusing 75-80mph I got about 17mpg. I still have that cam and its for sale with only 15k miles on it! PM me for details

AARON

honda12 said:
my block is at the machine shop and now is the time to get a cam what do you recomend its a daily driver so MPG is a big isue. do you think stock is the best way to go for MPG?

Did You ask your machine shop what they reccomend?? I personally would ask the machine shop where he gets his cams, and see if they can regrind yours to a RV spec. Since the 4.0 benefits from torque more than horsepower. Just my $0.02 worth...

Scott.

honda12 said:
my block is at the machine shop and now is the time to get a cam what do you recomend its a daily driver so MPG is a big isue. with 200K on it i got 14MPG at best with 3" lift and 31's and 3.55 gears. do you think stock is the best way to go for MPG?

A 3" lift and 31" tires are not going to help gas mileage. If you're intent on keeping both, regearing to 4.10's would help performance and may also improve gas mileage.
Your Jeep is obviously built mainly for offroad use so you'll need a cam that produces abundant low rev torque. The stock cam will do fine but if you're intent on changing it, I recommend the Crane 750501 unit. You can get it under part no. CRN-750501 from Summit Racing but don't forget that you'll also need new Crane lifters.

thanks for your comments i do plan on 4:10 gears next summer with lockers this motor is all stock and before the lift and tires i got 18MPG and after it gets 14 if im easy on it and around 11MPG if i drive like a normal person.thats something i wasnt expecting i hope the rebuild will help. it sounds like a rv cam will help should i be concerned about the smog police?

honda12 said:
I notice you did NOT mention what you run for gears. I have an '88 Comanche that until recently was lifted 4" and running on 31s. With 3.73 gearing I was getting 17 to 19 MPG in local driving and 19 to 21 MPG on the highway ... with the tailgate up.

Cam selection has to be made on the basis of the RPM range you will be operating in. Which means you cannot ignore gearing.

I run a comp 250H in my 4.6L stroker and get 15mpg city and 22 highway. I am istalling this cam for one of my friends in a .030 over rebuild and I think he will be happy with the results.

Back