• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 diff cover gasket?

RTV goop

There is a gasket, and I prefer to use gaskets over RTV, given a choice - especially for maintenance items. Saves cleaning with fluid changes...

You can use RTV - if you do, use RTV Black. Blue isn't worth the tube it comes in, and Red or Copper is just overkill for the job...

While you have everything torn down, it's not a bad idea to put a threaded stud in the topmost hole - for future changes you can just loosen that nut, remove the bolts, and then tap the cover loose and drain the gear oil without the big splash from the cover falling in the drain pan...

5-90

How does a threaded stud differ from the stock cover bolt? If I just leave the top bolt in and tap it with a mallet isn't it the same?

(...I'm doing this for the first time...)

thooogy said:
How does a threaded stud differ from the stock cover bolt? If I just leave the top bolt in and tap it with a mallet isn't it the same?

(...I'm doing this for the first time...)

You're right, but the bolts are a little short to allow loosening without falling out, and a longer bolt, the obvious workaround, might bottom out in the hole. You can tell, though, that 5-90 doesn't live in the rust belt! Of course up here, the threads on the stud would just rust, and the nut would probably unscrew the stud anyway.

If you live in a suitable environment, the stud might be worth trying.

Back