• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just a few questions

honda12

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 4.0L.i read in the manual that the crank positioning sensor gap was set from the factory and could not be adjusted does this mean if i replace it the gap will need to be adjusted or will it return to the factory setting when i bolt it back on??
also my door locks wont work i can here all of the acuators moving but the toggles only rock half way.i have to go to every door and lock and unlock them manually what a pain.is this common and how do i fix it.
heres one for you my horn has a short in it i unplugged both horns and still the same prob.when i push it the engine acts like it is missing and i hear a buzzing sound from the relay under the dash.
you think thats good, sometimes when i start this thing for the first time in the morning when i get to the first stop sign it dies and when i turn the key the ignition is dead the only way to start it is to leave the key on and jump the green wire on the relay to the starter and i fires right up.
oh yeah!on the way to work there is a tight turn of the freeway, when i am in the turn slowing down the tranny slips almost like its running out of fluid but i know its full.
and another thing it seems like my a/c clutch only works when its cold. after i turn the vehicle off after warm up it wont engage unless i unplug the coil wire and touch it direcly to the battery then it engages and i can plug it back in and it works fine untill i turn the vehicle off again.
well guys im sure this is enough for now im new to the sight and im looking forward to your replies no this isnt a joke this thing acually does this it has 200K on it and i love it to much to scrap it

The crank position sensor does not need to be adjusted. It is aligned by the bolts that hold it in.

Some of your problems sound like either bad grounds or other fairly common wiring issues such as corroded connectors. Check grounds first. There's a strap between the rear of the engine and the firewall, which sometimes corrodes. It may look good even when it's turned nearly to powder. On any old XJ, especially an older 4.0, I think it's a good idea just to get under the hood every once in a while with some contact cleaner and some silicone grease and clean and lube every electrical connector you can get your hands on. Even without the chemicals, just go in there, and unplug and replug each connector you see, two or three times. It's surprising sometimes how much this can improve things. If your 88 has the dreaded "C101" connector (all injection harness wires going to a big connector high on the firewall, rather than just through a couple of holes lower down), make sure you do that one too.

The ignition switch is also a prime suspect for some problems. This is a GM steering column, with the electrical part of the switch, which is actuated by a rod, mounted down near where the column goes under the dash. Not too hard to replace, and might be worth checking.

If this is an automatic, you might also be looking at a worn or dirty neutral safety switch. Next time it stalls, try wiggling the shift lever, or putting it in neutral rather than Park (or vice versa). If that seems to have an effect, a search of this forum should come up with a lot of info and links on rebuilding and cleaning this very expensive part. Proceed with caution, because it's easy to break it getting it off, and did I happen to mention before that it's a very expensive part?

thanks for the advise, i suspected the nuetral saftey but never gave thought to bad connectors i will check them.

Where's Madera? You know, there are a whole swale of California XJ-ers with factory manuals and troubleshooting gear around who will probably help you - just figure out who's closest. If I knew where Madera was, I'd offer help (but if it's far enough away I don't know offhand, it'll probably cost too much in fuel for me to get there easily...)

5-90

outside of fresno. what kind of equip would i need,how much is a manual from the factory or can you get them somewhere cheeper!

Back